• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Squared Frame Size/Shape Variation

Yes, all XS frames I'm aware of have the little rubber shim bumpers in the top. I'm a little curious if there are any members who have a frame that these "fell out" of? Not to blame any of the known issues on that. I just noticed how sometimes people mount their lenses in Juliet's without the orbital rubbers. Thought same might be true with people purchasing used items on eBay. Not realizing what's up.

Yes, all XS frames I'm aware of have the little rubber shim bumpers in the top. I'm a little curious if there are any members who have a frame that these "fell out" of? Not to blame any of the known issues on that. I just noticed how sometimes people mount their lenses in Juliet's without the orbital rubbers. Thought same might be true with people purchasing used items on eBay. Not realizing what's up.
When I got mine it didn't have any bumpers, in fact rhe seller said he only used the glasses a couple of times. So my polished carbon XS is clean and bothe original oem BIP and my custom cut sapph polar lenses fit without issue

When I got mine it didn't have any bumpers, in fact rhe seller said he only used the glasses a couple of times. So my polished carbon XS is clean and bothe original oem BIP and my custom cut sapph polar lenses fit without issue
I would suggest that your frames were OK and did not need any special attention. The production process was not 100% as discussed earlier in thia discussion.

@Chris A Hardaway I was not aware that the Juliets also had them. I have never seen them, but then again I have left most of my frames original and untouched (I have not switched lenses).
Oh the Juliet doesn't have any shim. I just meant some people let the rubbers wear out that go between the screw and frame orbital. Ya, that's supposed to have rubber there. But didn't really seem to affect fit.

Oh the Juliet doesn't have any shim. I just meant some people let the rubbers wear out that go between the screw and frame orbital. Ya, that's supposed to have rubber there. But didn't really seem to affect fit.
Aah! With you. I always thought that these were to reduce the chances of damaging the lenses. I guess they would help with the fit also.

Thanks for the clarification!

Im wondering about this XS i picked up on the 'Bay. Clearly, the left orbital is roundish and the right has a nice straight angle. Perhaps the seller or previous owner (former Oakley employee, supposedly) swapped one orbital at some point. the ruby oem lense these came with in the left orbital has a slight gap, while the right has a more perfect "squared" shape. i know i can just have custom cuts done, but it bugs me. should i seek out a left xs orbital with the sharp angle? or just try to ignore it and deny my ocd? lol.

Screenshot_20190101-141825.jpg

Im wondering about this XS i picked up on the 'Bay. Clearly, the left orbital is roundish and the right has a nice straight angle. Perhaps the seller or previous owner (former Oakley employee, supposedly) swapped one orbital at some point. the ruby oem lense these came with in the left orbital has a slight gap, while the right has a more perfect "squared" shape. i know i can just have custom cuts done, but it bugs me. should i seek out a left xs orbital with the sharp angle? or just try to ignore it and deny my ocd? lol.

View attachment 564289

If you can't return, then sell while disclosing that information. Some people don't care then buy what makes you happy.

Regardless, if we tell you to keep it, your OCD isn't going to reason with us. :D

View attachment 564289
My XS Carbon has the rounded look. If it bothers you, part that bitch out.

Upon closer inspection, the black rubber inset at the top inside of the left orbital isnt present, but is on the right side. that being said, i got it cheap enough to live with it. i am gonna keep my eye out for a left xm orbital, though. lol. or at least the black rubber inset for the top inside.

Of course i Macgyver'd it with a sliver of a skin for a phone i had on my desk. minimal jiggle now.

My XS Carbon has the rounded look. If it bothers you, part that bitch out.
if both were the same, it would bug me less. lol

Last edited: