• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Squared Hinge Issue

Could you explain what a 4-5 tap is? I get the concept of a tap wrench, but I have no idea how I would do that correctly
Research the screw size, we already know the thread type. Buy the micro tap that is made for watches and clocks or things of that sort. Slowly start from the top hinge hole, work your way down to the bottom one and slowly retap the hole. Also, I feel like I just opened a whole new can of worms for the rest of the memo unleash the comments. Brace yourself. 🤣🤣🤣

Watch a YouTube video or two on tapping first. You shouldn't tap in one motion. I would suggest a drop of cutting fluid and backing the tap out a bit after maybe an 1/8th of a turn. This will clear the cuttings and ensure a clean tap.

Watch a YouTube video or two on tapping first. You shouldn't tap in one motion. I would suggest a drop of cutting fluid and backing the tap out a bit after maybe an 1/8th of a turn. This will clear the cuttings and ensure a clean tap.
YouTube taught me as well. My dumb ass stripped a screw on an AR pistol grip. Wasn't gonna pay someone to do it so, bought the tools cheap and did it myself, in no time. Instead of spending an arm and a leg and waiting on a gunsmith for days.

Not sure in this case , but I drilled out the old threads and started with a clean cylinder to tap. @zwc0442 , Have you repaired threads on xmetals in this manner ?

I don't have the patience or steady enough hands for it.
I know what you mean.
The tremor in my dominant hand makes anything more than lens cleaning a study in frustration. Yesterday I gouged an irreplaceable lens while trying to perform “minor surgery”.
:headbang:
XMetals are too valuable to be d!ckn’ around learning on.
Take it to a competent watchmaker, or better yet one of the Masters on this site.
Love your DKM name!
10826251703_0d92d3450a_o.gif

Latest Posts

Back