• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Squared ..... the new black???

PitBoss

I should Work at Oakley
Norway
So I'm obviously pretty new to the metal sickness, but I gotta say it seems the X Squared is having a new spring here.

When I joined a couple of months back, it seemed that Juliet's was all the rage, and Juliet....well she still sees a lot of action, but XS has been like a comet lately.

My metal experience started with the Romeos and apart from the obvious design flaw with the ultimate spider cracking of the lenses they still are the pinnacle of innovation and disruptive attitude of Oakley. Second to none the Romeo is a different beast all together.

And as we move down the line of Juliet, Mars, Penny, XX, and finally the XS, it dawns on me.
As the last of the true X Metals and they really are the culmination of all learning during Oakleys Mad Scientist Era.

Spider cracking - fixed
Nosebridge rivets- replaced
Hammerstems v 2.0 and then some- check
Length of said hammerstems -better
Sunglass vault- included
Orbital cushion to make sure lenses fit - installed

Would I have liked to see Oakley continue making replacement parts for these and all other metals- sure, but then again replacement parts are readily available from several aftermarket companies.

Romeo is a work of art...

X Squared well I gotta say, you went out with a bang Oakley. I can't ask for more in a frame.
I absolutely love them.

I find myself reaching for the XS more then my Romeo, and I wonder...... Is it because I'm too afraid of damaging them, or do I quite possibly like more how the XS wears?

Mind you I got a Romeo with BI with etching and they are mint, heck I even got a replacement lens kit with original OEM BI with etching....MINT!!

still the xs is how I roll....

I dont know guys. What are your thoughts?

The perception of the XS has changed quite a bit since their release, but I feel it has been a progression. It seems like the general feelings about the XS were "meh" when it was released. It strayed far enough from the lines of the original X-metals (no rivets plus they weren't cheap) and it was almost shunned. Then tragedy struck...the X-metal line was discontinued. Absence does make the heart grow fonder, but the XS was still just above the Half-X in the pecking order for many.

Then there was talk of a new X-metal line and everyone wondered how they might revive (and dare I say improve upon) the line. Those hopes were crushed like an aluminum can;), but then some people began to realize they had already made an improved X-metal for all of the reasons in the OP. The prices skyrocketed until they were almost as much as the O-riginal R1. Prices have dropped a bit, but I do think the appreciation of the XS is here to stay!

The XS prices do seem to be quite a bit higher than the Juliets on here, for the most part. I would like to try a pair on to see if they suit me before laying down that much money.

The relationship with the XS has changed since I have been on the forum. They used to ridiculed by many for the square orbitals. Not many people would wear them and they became shelf queens for display purposes. The R1 on the other hand was the first design, leading the way with new technology and style. The flaws became apparent and many people would trade them in (from the stories I have read). Thus decreasing the majority of pairs in owners hands. The styling of both pairs is unique in their own way. I can see the argument of the XS being the culmination of improvements that Oakley has found with the previous models.

In the end people will buy the style that suits them most.

interesting thoughts here.

for me, on major reason why I like the romeo and xs more than the rest is obviously the ability for self service.
being able to avoid those rivets is a huge plus in my book.

@Dantes I agree they are square, but man the lines on those things are stunning.

@OakleyFrankFMJ I guess you are not really into the whole metal line. Do you ever wear sunglasses not C-SIX? I've seen some of your pictures and I gotta say... Damn man!! 6 pairs??? Going by fleabay standards you got around 150k$ worth of c-six huh. I mean at 25k a pop its not even in my solar system to ever get a pair.
Maybe... Just Maybe I could justify around 8k, and sit on them for 20 years as an investment... But ever wearing a pair would mean that I would have to be filthy rich ro justify... And im not so..

So I'm obviously pretty new to the metal sickness, but I gotta say it seems the X Squared is having a new spring here.

When I joined a couple of months back, it seemed that Juliet's was all the rage, and Juliet....well she still sees a lot of action, but XS has been like a comet lately.

My metal experience started with the Romeos and apart from the obvious design flaw with the ultimate spider cracking of the lenses they still are the pinnacle of innovation and disruptive attitude of Oakley. Second to none the Romeo is a different beast all together.

And as we move down the line of Juliet, Mars, Penny, XX, and finally the XS, it dawns on me.
As the last of the true X Metals and they really are the culmination of all learning during Oakleys Mad Scientist Era.

Spider cracking - fixed
Nosebridge rivets- replaced
Hammerstems v 2.0 and then some- check
Length of said hammerstems -better
Sunglass vault- included
Orbital cushion to make sure lenses fit - installed

Would I have liked to see Oakley continue making replacement parts for these and all other metals- sure, but then again replacement parts are readily available from several aftermarket companies.

Romeo is a work of art...

X Squared well I gotta say, you went out with a bang Oakley. I can't ask for more in a frame.
I absolutely love them.

I find myself reaching for the XS more then my Romeo, and I wonder...... Is it because I'm too afraid of damaging them, or do I quite possibly like more how the XS wears?

Mind you I got a Romeo with BI with etching and they are mint, heck I even got a replacement lens kit with original OEM BI with etching....MINT!!

still the xs is how I roll....

I dont know guys. What are your thoughts?

exactly why I changed preference..
not as iconic as Romeo and Juliet, but for me it's the best..that's why i'm not wearing any other xmetal than my XS..

interesting thoughts here.

for me, on major reason why I like the romeo and xs more than the rest is obviously the ability for self service.
being able to avoid those rivets is a huge plus in my book.

@Dantes I agree they are square, but man the lines on those things are stunning.

@OakleyFrankFMJ I guess you are not really into the whole metal line. Do you ever wear sunglasses not C-SIX? I've seen some of your pictures and I gotta say... Damn man!! 6 pairs??? Going by fleabay standards you got around 150k$ worth of c-six huh. I mean at 25k a pop its not even in my solar system to ever get a pair.
Maybe... Just Maybe I could justify around 8k, and sit on them for 20 years as an investment... But ever wearing a pair would mean that I would have to be filthy rich ro justify... And im not so..
:eek:

Metals are actually my favorite. They will stand the test of time by outlasting us all. I don't wear them just because.....but if I were not wearing the C-6 it would be a pair of metals ;)

Yup..... 6 Carbons.....more Aluminums. :angel:

I'm not filthy rich by any means......if I was I wouldn't be working. :rolleyes:

Back