• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XMC Optics X-Metal Polishing Service/Show work done

InfiniteHero

Entrepreneur
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
United States
Gentlemen,
I have worked on this particular project for over a year. Typical forum hand polishing using a dremel only did so much, using various sandpaper and other measures usually produced about the same type of finish where you get a bright finish but the underlying grey or darkness is still there in a ton of areas. The hardest part of polishing a frame is the areas inside where the ear stem screws in, the nose piece areas and the nose bridge itself, these areas typically get left out of the polishing. I have refined the process of Titanium polishing using a proprietary process that only three companies use in the United States. I learned this information when doing research for the process. Due to people asking, I am NOT hand polishing or machine polishing the frames. It is a highly proprietary process.

I am able to achieve an extremely high polish on 100% of the frame, but not quite a mirror. Factory OEM polished frames have some type of coating on them which increases the finished look and being that they were polished off of a bare casting before any other finish was applied makes that difference. I can turn any OEM finished frame into a highly polished surface. There is no need for a clear coat on the frame due to the natural oxide layer that forms on Titanium. Same as a blasted X metal finish. The highly polished surface is smooth to the touch, however will show the surface structure of the Titanium Alloy pending how the original casting was finished. Small light scratches and marring will diminish or disappear in this process but deeper nicks or scratches will remain. Pictures are below with descriptions depicting before, during and after the process.

1. Prices are $100 for any X Metal frame (R2 frames will need to find a work around for the "O" in the ear stem) to be polished from any OEM finish. All frames will receive correct Polished Pins included for the return. (I am separating the tightening due to Romeo 1 frame customers and New frames being done)

2. Frames that are not OEM and have a coating or painted finish will require a $20 blasting fee to remove and prep the frame.

3. Tightening of the Nose Bridge will cost an additional $20 if needed or wanted. (This is up to the customer)

Package pricing for Anodizing or Coating processes will be handled by PM or email.
Return shipping will be USPS Priority Mail unless other arrangements are made. All shipping is $8 CONUS and $23.50 OCONUS for the small flat rate box

Anodizing services will be done at a discount if the Polishing service is done.

This is the before pictures of Two Juliets that were polished:
SubstandardFullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1503.JPG

Here is the after Polished Pictures of several pieces along with specifics of the above Copper Ti-02 polished.
IMG_2173_2.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2147.JPG
IMG_2148.JPG

This is your comparison with a OEM Polished frame side by side in the same LED lighting:
IMG_2178_2.JPG

The rusted frame was kept in a Polished state awaiting Anodizing, will show that picture in the future. The Ti-02 Cu frame that was turned polished is now the below frame. A certain coating that maintains the hypoallergenic properties of Ti, allows for the same feel and sound of the Ti, and doesn't chip or crack was applied for the Black finish. It is a black finish, the LED lighting made it look dark blue. It is slightly transparent but was applied at a heavier rate to reduce the transparent properties. Could be done very lightly to produce a Polished Carbon look also. It is NOT a paint.
IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0243.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good! Would you be able to take the black finish photos under different lighting conditions, maybe outside?

Where on earth did you find that rusted wreck?

Can we call that creation "The Phoenix"!

LOL the rusted wreck was a customers frame he sent in for polishing and then anodizing. He asked if he could have a Ti-Cu (Titanium Copper) polished Juliet and I said send it in. Here are all the before and after pics for that frame. I noticed anodizing for my polished frames comes out a lot brighter looking than on OEM polished. Mine also have some texture on the Ti which the OEM ones don't. The texture is a visual look but still totally smooth. Here is the Wreck photo first.

IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg

The next photo has that wreck polished as one of the Juliet pairs.
IMG_2173.jpg

This is what it is now, and I am sure the new owner will post pics with lenses when he gets a chance.
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2396.jpg

Back