• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetal Finish: Grainy Or Smooth?

Kiwi

Oakley Expert
WA
Reading through the "what finish do you prefer" it seems like the general consensus is that the xmetal finish is most preferred. But my question is: does the xmetal finish start off "grainy/rough" textured when it is brand new and then smooths out over time to feel more "silky"? Or do the different generations of xmetal have different textures? The reason I'm asking is because the first pair of xmetal finished mars (from wayyy back, i think 1st gen) are very grainy. They have an almost fine grain sandpaper feel to them. But I haven't worn them so I don't know if this texture smooths out over time. I had a chance to look at a pair of xmetal/ruby Juliets at the the ostore and the finish was more smooth and silky. From pictures I've seen, the first gen plasma finish looks to be rather rough and grainy as well, where as the current gen plasma (which I own) are very silly smooth. I'm just wondering which gen of x metal frames to hunt for.

2nd or 3rd gen,when Oakley started the casting process the molds were rough and left texture to the parts.as time went on they learned a few things and went to a "lost wax" method instead of sand casting.

Thanks xman. So I'm guessing its the later generations of xmetal is what people prefer? And I guess the same goes for all the finishes?

I really don't like the early versions.collectors like em for what they are,but on first gen stuff I see a lot of flashing that was never removed,the 3rd gen stuff is flawless.im guessin that's why they only polished the 3rd gen castings.1st gen plasma is awfull while the 2nd and 3rd are really nice in color and texture.thats my opinion and im stickin to it.

Back