• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XMetal Stains

Ninebreaker

I should Work at Oakley
Indiana
So while browsing the forums for deals on XMetals, I noticed mention of stains on the metal.

How do these stains come about? I'm just trying to avoid that sort of outcome for my XMetals.

Hey Fella,

Staining is probably mostly confined to plasma frames, Purely by handling, And Wearing. Especially if Hands are contaminated with Suntan Cream or Hair gel. Also sweat contains natual acidity. So any of these, especially where they come into contact with the face, So brows, Cheeks, And the Nose area tend to get worn. And it shows more on the lighter coloured Frames. (Plasma, Ti) but the coatings are only a paint basically so any colour is susceptible.

Polished frames are best for prevention but we crave variety, Right?

I had this on a pair of Plasma Ice Juliets, Mothers removed it.

I notice it especially around the nose pads. It's not the frame material corroding its the pvd coating on first gen plasma. wash off the frames with isopropyl alcohol every once in awhile or have them ceracoated in a clear coating.
I've considered cleaning plasma frames with iso before but was always concerned about causing damage to the plasma finish, thanks for this bit of info !

So while browsing the forums for deals on XMetals, I noticed mention of stains on the metal.

How do these stains come about? I'm just trying to avoid that sort of outcome for my XMetals.
Gen 2 Juliet Plasma are notorious for developing an odd brownish/bronze colored tint, even splotches on some. Haven't been able to pinpoint what causes it.

Back