• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetal XX 24K Lens Online

I recently ordered 24K Xx replacement lenses and both sets didn't fit correctly. Both orders had the same issue, the left lens "sorta" fit and the right didn't. Once I got the right lens in, there was no way in hell the screw would catch. Spoke with Oakley both times and they are just as surprise as I was.

So, they now requested me to send the frames and new lenses to their service department to see what the issue is. On the plus side, aside from the original shipping fee, they have picked up all of the other shipping costs.

BTW, these Xx's were purchased new probably in 1999 so I don't know if that's an issue?

My 24k lens was like that(ordered it a month ago) and I thought the lens was too big. I noticed that their are gaps on the orbitals and it slightly jiggles so I pinched where the orbital screws go and continue to install the screw and rubber washer. After a few seconds of trying to catch the screw to the other hole, it finally connected and it was a snug fit. Try it again and don't be afraid that it might break since the lens should be installed nice and tight.

My 24k lens was like that(ordered it a month ago) and I thought the lens was too big. I noticed that their are gaps on the orbitals and it slightly jiggles so I pinched where the orbital screws go and continue to install the screw and rubber washer. After a few seconds of trying to catch the screw to the other hole, it finally connected and it was a snug fit. Try it again and don't be afraid that it might break since the lens should be installed nice and tight.

There was a good 1/8+ of an inch gap and there was no way in hell to even get it close to get the screw to catch. No matter how hard I tried to pinch it together to get the screw to catch, I could not get it done. Putting the OEM lenses back in was snap but there was no way the new ones (one side) were ever going in. Frames and replacement lenses left today to Oakley's repair center. Fingers crossed that I get them back in almost new condition. :)

njracer said:
There was a good 1/8+ of an inch gap and there was no way in hell to even get it close to get the screw to catch. No matter how hard I tried to pinch it together to get the screw to catch, I could not get it done. Putting the OEM lenses back in was snap but there was no way the new ones (one side) were ever going in. Frames and replacement lenses left today to Oakley's repair center. Fingers crossed that I get them back in almost new condition. :)

Wow, this is a first for me....ordering original replacement lenses for a certain model, and the lenses do NOT fit the orbitals? Pretty scary stuff if the lenses were rare or limited edition...

Wow, this is a first for me....ordering original replacement lenses for a certain model, and the lenses do NOT fit the orbitals? Pretty scary stuff if the lenses were rare or limited edition...

This has been a known concern for the XX Metal line for some time. I think for some reason there is a difference in orbital size or shape however slight it may be, that is causing this problem that some seem to have when putting new lenses into early XX Metal frames.

I hope I don't have the same thing because I have a new set sitting at home waiting to be put in to my 24k's...

I concur with the sizing issue. I have a first gen XX Xmetal and let me guess... is it the Left Eye orbital that is tight? Infinitehero cut me a pair Positive Reds for my XX and it fit his 24K XX just fine but mine had to be trimmed and its still very tight today. I might trim it a little more for a better fit once I get up the courage with the dremel. Probably should put the dremel on that stand so it won't slip out of my hands and nick the lens face...

Just a little update...

It took a bit under 2 weeks from the day I sent them back to Oakley but I have my X-Metals back! Oakley's customer service was outstanding and the glasses were returned to me in essentially perfect condition.

oakleyxmetal_zpsbcab306e.jpg

Well I just ordered mine as this thread may start a buying spike. Both the 24k and BI. BI say shipping in 2weeks, 24K next business day. Let's see what happens.

Back