• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XS Vs Juliets

Mr. K

Oakley Expert
Seattle, WA
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have a question.

I love my XS (all 5 of them), and I love all my Juliets.

To the general public Juliets are quite popular, they have stood the test of time as far as style goes.

But do you think non-Oakley fanatics are familar with the XS line. Do you see that many out in the wild? Do you think they style will endure like the Juliets to become iconic?

I prefer them to the Juliets (although I like both). But somehow they do not seem as popular. Do you think it is because it has not been in movies or on Ichiro's head?

Just trying to get some feedback as they seem popular on this board.

Now I'm not saying Juliets or XS are better than eachother because they are both great in their own way. Just trying to see why the XS have not taken off with the general public like the Juliets did? Price point perhaps?

juliets have been around for almost 10 years more than the XS. yes, juliets also have many movie appearances which helps. the XS is a great frame but i think, compared to when the Juliet first came out, is not that innovative.. its just a redesigned 'same old tricks' x-metal. the Juliet will IMO always be the most popular xmetal to the general public.

Even as a big advocate for the XS, I don't think it'll ever catch on like the Juliet did, for various reasons - and almost all of them have to do with marketing.

1. Oakley isn't the name it once was. Back in the youth of the Juliet, Oakley was that crazy company with the Over The Top and industrial looking displays. The Juliet quickly became the fashionable flagship of an incredibly popular company. Now, it still has a good reputation, but that's all they have: reputation. They haven't done anything to catch the general public's opinion in years. Even their displays have become matte black - a color the military uses to NOT stand out.

2. It is called the X Squared. Not the Juliet, Mars, Romeo, or Penny. X Squared isn't an easily remembered name, doesn't create its own identity, and is overall incredibly lame. Maybe call them the Caesar, MacBeth, or Othello (to stick with Shakespeare), Mercury, Saturn, Andromeda (for their space theme) - give them a real name and you've got something.

3. Ichiro, Cyclops, Blade, Brad Pitt, Spiderman. Who is wearing X Metals now?

IMO, the juliets will always be the "father" of the x squared. the x squared is great and all, but it is just a juliet with slightly different features and shapes (orbitals and stems) but over-all, still a juliet clone thingie. and the x squared PROBABLY caught teh eyes of the public simply because of the thirst for a new x metal. i just hope oakley does not catch on with the "made in china" bandwagon....

That is why I love this place! All the points made sure do make sense.

Perhaps the Juliets just came out at the perfect time in sunglass history to make a big splash.

IMO, the juliets will always be the "father" of the x squared. the x squared is great and all, but it is just a juliet with slightly different features and shapes (orbitals and stems) but over-all, still a juliet clone thingie. and the x squared PROBABLY caught teh eyes of the public simply because of the thirst for a new x metal. i just hope oakley does not catch on with the "made in china" bandwagon....

Well, actually the X-metal XX is more of the father of the XS. The XX got discontinued just before theXS came to the market, also the XX has more of the bigger/squarish lens shape that the XS has.

Back