• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XSquared Rarity

I don't have any info on SKU's, but i was shown a sheet from the factory by a fellow collector that has all the x squared finishes listed as a percentage of total production. This was what they were approximately supposed to produce, not nessesarily what made it to market. I wrote all the numbers down, and I'll try to look for that. From what I remember carbon was by far the largest, and I believe polished carbon was the smallest. The rest were all pretty similar.
24k was not included on the sheet.

The numbers I have are:

Carbon- 29%
Plasma-22%
X-metal-22%
Polished carbon-14%
Polished-13%

This is cool, but of course, unconfirmed and no way of determining total production. If these are taken at face value, we still have to take into account that there were two different plasma sku's (plasma/ice and plasma/fire) and three different carbon sku's (Ducati, Carbon/BI, and Carbon/OOBIP).

This is cool, but of course, unconfirmed and no way of determining total production. If these are taken at face value, we still have to take into account that there were two different plasma sku's (plasma/ice and plasma/fire) and three different carbon sku's (Ducati, Carbon/BI, and Carbon/OOBIP).

If these numbers are representative of actual production (which we'll never know) it's intriguing why we see the polished carbon so often.

If these numbers are representative of actual production (which we'll never know) it's intriguing why we see the polished carbon so often.

Well, if you divide the carbon by 3 for the different colorways (9.6%), and divide plasma by 2 for those colorways (11%) then it makes X-Metal and Polished carbon the most abundant finishes available (in theory of course).

For years we have known polished was shortest in numbers has been going for more then 400 when others were going 250-300 or even less . I can remember why but it had a short run. Plasma's while cool,The lenses are easy to replace. OO black is the hardest lenses to get. Even more so then the ones that came with the 24kt. At some point Oakley made more then a few that made it into the secondary market witch has kept it reasonable for the most part plus it doesn't really go well with other frame color's that great.. Polish carbon I think is great, but it doesn't take much mess up the frame. I used run with carbon polished with factory Ducati rubbers and OO black lenses.. I love the X sqaured Ducati red rubbers. If any one has a set hit me up.

Some times it's just what the market is offering to sell about 3 months ago I saw polished go for lowest money ever and regular carbon go for retarded money, witch it has long been the cheapest frame by far. Next was xmetal and then carbon polished then plasma then Ducati witch either sells right away or takes forever to sell one .then polished then 24kt. Honestly this past year is most carbon OO black I have ever seen, given prices it slides under 24kt in money

These belong @Walter Langkowski
image.jpeg

Back