• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX differences

Nucchem

If you are not falling, you are not learning.
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Dublin, Ca
Is there a disparity in XX to XX?
My new customs seem to be a bit wider then my 24K and my Copper custom.
The stems are wider (same rubber size but the new customs have all Juliet rubbers)
The glasses seem a bit wider and the stems certainly are. I don’t think with both 15 rubbers there would be that big of a difference.
I also heard that the lens shaped changed a bit from one gen to the other 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thoughts please.
C64361C3-FA1D-4BC8-98DE-CA2C30273728.jpeg
F5960BAE-B6A7-41BC-94AA-FFC3DD572149.jpeg
3337F03A-5BE8-4F80-891C-96510CC255DB.jpeg

To me it looks like the arm hinge area is a different , slightly greater angle . Which makes it appear like a smaller frame ? Could be the tune up. 🤔

Once you add a customization into the equation then all your constants have now changed to variables.

How aggressive was the polishing done?
Did they get fully into the ear stems, or leave those as they are hard to get?
Did it just get polished &/or Anodized?
Did it get painted? How thick / what type of paint did they use?
Clear coat? Sealer? How thick?
How thick of a plating for the Tin and Copper?
How thick of a rubber did they use for the nose bridge?
Did they trim any parts of the rubber?

Lots can change, you know how many XX’s I have, and most fit slightly differently than each other.

One of the coolest things about these X Metal frames, the multitude of variations.

Thank you all. It was tuned by one of our masters Zach. He said he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
It almost seems like the glasses have been flex out from the nose bridge. Instead of the temples being pulled in as if to squeeze they were pulled out. Maybe from a fat head. I feel like I need a fatter head.:headbang:

Coating thickness is extremely negligible

it's the tune and the temple shox...

all XMetals are damn near identical, but once you start putting different couplers and different sized temple shox, the entire dynamics change...

Coating thickness is extremely negligible

it's the tune and the temple shox...

all XMetals are damn near identical, but once you start putting different couplers and different sized temple shox, the entire dynamics change...
Go try and put a late Gen R1 lens in a 4 Digit R1 and then you’ll see your statement of “damn near identical” isn’t quite accurate.

Go try and put a late Gen R1 lens in a 4 Digit R1 and then you’ll see your statement of “damn near identical” isn’t quite accurate.
That wouldn't push the ear stems out, by any means...

his ear stems are wider because of the coupler and shoxs, not by swapping lenses 🙄