1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Godzilla

Godzilla Oakley Enthusiast

I own a titanium bracelet edition 12 Gauge. Oakley's website description states that the band is consisted of carbon fiber composites with titnium. Can anyone explain to me the definition of carbon fiber composites? I called Oakley for an explanation and was told that the band was not carbon fiber but was unobtanium with titanium. I was also told that the carbon was the black color of the unobtanium and the carbon fiber was the face of the watch. The rep stated that the watch did not consist of any carbon fiber. Is this info accurate?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

Not positive that this may apply to Oakleys strap but it may mean that the black portion of the strap is O-Matter infused with carbon fiber particles which makes it stronger than regular plastic, then the metal part of the strap would be titanium. This is the same case with some of the 3D Printer ABS FIlaments I use which is infused with carbon fiber particles which makes it stronger than regular ABS. Hope this helps and makes some sense to your inquiry.

GH4AU and Godzilla like this.
  3. Godzilla

Godzilla Oakley Enthusiast

Finally a response.... Thanks for your input

4. GH4AU

GH4AU Carbon Fanatic Premium Member

I've been baffled by this as well. Those pieces seem like plastic to me.

5. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

The correct term is actually Carbon FIber Reinforced Plastic or CFRP. This type of plastic or composite has carbon/graphite fiber embedded in the polymer matrix before curing. :)

Godzilla and GH4AU like this.