• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

4.0 display case rescue and rebuild / customization

Got some new hardware in today to kind of replace the busted up oakley sign which I’ll have to cut out and lay this overtop and then I’m going to try to back light it with some color changing LED :) speaking of LED after about 5 hours of research and looking I’ve found a pretty much direct replacement for the lighting in the case the old difference is the driver is more advanced which will prolong life and reduce fire hazard but I t will require a 1 cut and solder and shrink tube to be plug and play with the OEM system

View attachment 1119475

View attachment 1119476

I made my own LED and kept the original fixture
3A5BC2F9-AAD2-44B2-B9E7-367AF1843DD6.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

View attachment 1119581
View attachment 1119582

Yeah I seen those too! And I thought about doing the same thing but then I worried that the older style driver might also be bad and soldering to the chip is a huge pain the butt to find out the chip wasn’t the issue would suck. Did yours work after you got done?

Yeah I seen those too! And I thought about doing the same thing but then I worried that the older style driver might also be bad and soldering to the chip is a huge pain the butt to find out the chip wasn’t the issue would suck. Did yours work after you got done?

Put a meter on your driver before you un solder old LED. None of my drivers were bad.
IMG_4172.jpg

6425B2D5-FB13-4C32-AE8E-A413907B3C62.jpg

Also the drivers are replaceable as well.

I thought about offering a light repair service for 4.0 cases but I’m not sure how many people would actually do it

I’d be happy to go into more detail on this with you if you’d like. It’s more detailed than I explained

Put a meter on your driver before you un solder old LED. None of my drivers were bad. View attachment 1119587
View attachment 1119588I was late to that game lol tore it all apart

Put a meter on your driver before you un solder old LED. None of my drivers were bad. View attachment 1119587
View attachment 1119588
Cool 😎, I’ll have to rebuild the old ones. I think people would definitely be in need of the rebuild service. I had a couple old aluminum cases I could never find lights for back in the day.