• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Sunglasses for Riding a Motorcycle?

khaos

Oakley Beginner
So I need new sunglasses for riding and they CANNOT be polarized. For some reason helmet visors and polarized lenses make terrible rainbows. I'm looking at crosshairs and similar (plaintiffs etc) right now; my question is, how hard is it to change the lenses on these? I really like the titanium ones but like I said, they cannot be polarized.

Second question. If you could have only one lens for driving (in this case riding I guess but same idea) which would you pick? vr28 black iridium seems well touted, but I've heard it's not great in the sun.

Thanks!

Welcome on board Khaos.

You are right, if you wear a full face helmet, polarized lenses will create all kind of reflections and glares.
For wearing under a helmet, instead of metal frames (crosshair, plaintiffs, gelon, etc...) I would prefer more flexible frames, my personal choice would be jawbones/racing jackets or split jackets. They are flexible, lightweight and offer great coverage, in adittion the lenses can be swaped in the spot in a few seconds. With the split jackets you can also fit them with a gasket that will create a seal against the wind in case you want to go for a ride with an open face helmet.

As per the lenses I would go for black iridium.

Welcome pal. What do you ride?

Come to think on it I got a cheap pair of XX with polorized lenses for out on the bike haha. Oh well I'll keep them in the car. I've worn Fuel Cells with Black Iridium under my lid, they seem to be okay.

Thanks for the replies! I ride a cbr500r.

The reason I looked at the metal frames instead of the xxxxx-jacket styles is the bulk at the temple; I dunno if they fit comfortably under the helmet.

Back