• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Brought my Juliets out to sea...

nofrontiers

Oakley Enthusiast
hi guys, after much research and contemplation on whether to bring my juliets out for a 3 day 2 night fishing trip, i decided to give it a shot.

it's been a 50-50 review whether it is wise to do so, and the results i got were also...50-50.

the first day out at sea (intense sunlight), i wore these juliets. when the sun set, i washed the lenses with fresh water and kept it in the microfibre bag and the x metal hard case.

the next morning when i woke up to wear it before sun rise...my heart broke...

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

i'm not sure what happened. the other lens was completely fine. the affected lens had the inner side completely wrecked. the front had also signs of these wrinkles around the edges.

it seems the coating wrinkled up...and i could scratch it off...like flakes.

so...case study is still 50-50. :( hope i shared some useful case scenarios with you guys.

Really sorry to hear this, at least you can still find lenses fairly easy for these.

My only guess is there was something oil-based on that lens that the water didn't wash off. Sun screen, hair products, skin products.

You can soak them in alcohol and get that off both lenses to make them match again. But I'd suggest a new set of lenses.

i was certain that sunscreen, hair products etc werent in touch with my glasses...i was aware though that some salt water from the breeze touched the lenses.

there were other oakleys onboard, straight and flak jackets, all were fine.

yep, replaced it with a spare VR28 BIP. :)

I had my big fat mother in law on our boat last year,she had some kinda sunscreen on that actually melted some of the plastic in the boat.when she rested up against some inerior pieces she and her bullshit sunscreen damaged the finish,what is this stuff people put on their skin that destroyes plastic?
Ive swam in saltwater with mine,never rinsed and never had any issues,gotta be the sunscreen.

I have a pair of lenses that are 3rd party that I use for sea and beach now. I have already ruined 1 pair of genuine lenses and don't want to risk hurting any more.

Latest Posts

Back