• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

But Why Are All The Straight Stems Gone?

PinHead

Oakley Beginner
Hi, just a stranger passing through with some questions that I would love some answers to.

I have a fairly narrow head, especially around the eyes and did a bit of snooping around online and found that Oakley once offered straight stem radars and I believe some other straight stem models, but now I can't find them online from Oakley. Did they discontinue them? Is there any plan to bring them back? Maybe with the Radar Locks?

Are Flak Jackets next to get the new lense mechanism upgrade? Or will they be upgraded like that anytime soon? Because the Fast Jackets are just way too flaring for me and without a straight stem Radar/Radar Lock to try on there aren't many options for lense swappable sports glasses.

Is the Batwolf model named after the Batwolf mod/admin?

Thanks

There are still straight stem models available custom. All team colors are straight stem, in addition to a polished black and pearl option. Sometimes you'll still see bright pink offered and it's straight stem too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

As for the Flaks, the Fast Jacket IS the switchlock version. It's the next generation in that family.

Ahh, thank you. I was looking for a separate frame option, I never thought to look at the different color to find it there.

Do the straight stems make a noticeable difference in the flaring? Because it looks like they do from the pictures, but without anything in my hand to try it's hard to tell for sure.

I don't think the Fast Jackets are a straight upgrade of the Flaks because the frames seemed pretty different when I tried them on. With the Fast Jackets I could fit two whole fingers in between the glasses and the corner of my eye/temple but I couldn't do that with the Flak Jackets and the giant flaring outwards was just a no-go. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, just that such a large difference seems a bit odd for an otherwise straight upgrade.

There's a noticeable difference. The idea of the straight stem was that it would fit under a hat for baseball or a helmet for cycling.

I promise. The Fast are the next generation Flak. Just like Half to Flak and M-Frame to Radar. The newer generation isn't always the same fit. It's not supposed to be a Flak with new bells and whistles. It's Oakley saying, so we have these new bells and whistles to add to Flak, so let's take this opportunity to redesign it and make it new, fresh, and updated. There will be people who love the new fit, and some who will prefer the Flak's fit,

Oh, ok. Would you say the straight stem version of the radar is similar enough to the flak jackets in terms of fit (compared to normal radars/fast jackets) to bother trying to find a pair to test since they both cost $280 with the polarized lenses?

Once again, thank you so much for doing this, you've been really helpful.

@Batwolf

I thought you might have been around before the Batwolf because I've only seen them fairly recently, but then again I only started looking around that time too I guess. Ah well.

Back