1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. XMetalAddict

XMetalAddict Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Has anyone ever used an ultrasonic bath (as used for jewelry) to clean X Metals? I have used this on standard Rx glasses before and it is really good for getting embedded grime out of the nooks and crannies.
    I am not sure if the coatings on the lenses would be affected, the frames would withstand a nuclear blast, so not concerned about them.

The other question would be, would you just use water or add something to it to help the process?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

I'd remove the lenses and most of the rubber, but otherwise you should be fine. You might want to add a surfactant (like mild soap) to make it work better.

3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yeah AFAIK the consumer grade models don't really work well with just water; some mild soap should be fine with x-metals.

4. XMetalAddict

XMetalAddict Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Thanks @NoFair and @kronin323. The reason I asked is I just purchased a pair of XX sunglasses and they need a clean. The hinges are particularly dusty and did not want to dismantle everything to clean them.

5. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

Mild soap, full strip down, soft toothbrush + rinse :)

Cleaning X Metals Using Ultrasonic Bath - 220A3110-0BF8-4167-9389-9190F2BA0066_zpsfg6u3h8q.jpg