1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Hitech Vojtech

Hitech Vojtech Oakley Enthusiast

Just realizing, I am spending way too much on x metals,even if i try to stop its pulling me back in to get more pieces :)
    I am on 10pairs of juliet,4 R1's,4 Penny,2x XS...and more coming...
    Actually I'm thinking switching to collecting o Matters(Flaks,Flak 2.0 ,Radars,EV's,)-since many pairs you can get around 80-100$,
    comparing to X metals that usually cost around 500$ in average for interesting pieces...
    anyone tried this way to cut his expenses instead of quitting collecting for good and still keep his passion for Oakley?

Funky-Trixtar likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Yes and no: I have set O-Matter which I have targeted which do genuinely appeal to me. I don't collect things for the sake of it.......

Bronzefunk likes this.
  3. Hitech Vojtech

True sir,
    I was just thinking instead of quit collecting oakleys,continue with Oakleys that I also love-sports frames and ddoest cost me fortune :) just keep Metals I am going to wear and focus on sport frames

4. dragonvoi

dragonvoi Dragonvoi knows xMetal. Premium Member

david had a good approach to his xmetal collection. by distilling his pairs and selling/trading up, he was able to manage his cost and have a stellar collection at the same time.

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/rounding-out-my-permanent-collection.38837/

also in switching to omatters, in regards to cost, that doesnt make sense because if you started two collections with $1000 2 years ago and bought xmetals, you could very well have a collection worth $2000 today or more depending on how active you are at selling and trading. (with some patience you could have picked up 4 XS two years ago for $1k) but say you bought 8 flak jackets at the same time, do you think you could value 8 flak jackets @ $2000 total? would you expect someone to pay $250 for a used flak jacket today?

but then again who am I to say what you should collect...(I have a lot of sport-specific pairs that I would love to trade for your collection) :cool-33:

5. Hitech Vojtech

True I agree,well the my thought were more like stop with X metal that I have-as it is and any other new oakleys that I am going to get will be most likely sport frames like Flak 2.0 ,Radar ...etc that I am not going to bleed out too much financially

6. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Maybe just cut back a little so you can still get what you want.

7. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

If you are having financial difficulties....cut out collecting for a few months and get your bills paid properly......Oakleys can take over everything.......if you don't pay your normal bills, how can you expect to keep purchasing what you like when it comes to Oakelys?

8. Hitech Vojtech

lol its not that bad :D Thanks Frank for your post,but I am fine,its just I will probably later start to invest money into something else like my own property or some business than buying more X metals and probably collecting O matter frames will not hurt so much financially and I will keep still my love for Oakley :)

pjd1234 likes this.
  9. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

I would just slow down for a while pal and take stock of what you have. If you don't enjoy what you have already collected it all becomes about 'the next pair'. If there's anything you feel you're not particularly keen on or won't wear etc, maybe move it on or trade with it. I'd say this happens to a lot of collectors in their early days, so you need to take the time to think it through before you do something you may regret, not just from a financial position, as dragonvoi has pointed out regarding future values, but from a personal perspective.

David_Oakley, QLR1 and Hitech Vojtech like this.
  10. washi me sensie

washi me sensie The Oakley R┼Źnin

Find a frame type that you would always love to see in your collection bro... If you love xmetals then save up for them. Like what frank said just take a break, save up and buy more of those frames you love. I had one streak before like you when i started buying random o matter frames becuase they were cheaper... Later i ended up selling them because i would like to have more bosses or metals. So just hang in there and continue collecting the pairs you really want...

Mits0108, STavros and Hitech Vojtech like this.