• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Differences between Oakley Eye Jacket first generation and second generation

sflaneur

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a pair of vintage Eye Jackets and am wondering what some of the important differences are between the first and second generation. Particularly curious about whether the second generation are more well made and less prone to the arms breaking off? Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a pair of vintage Eye Jackets and am wondering what some of the important differences are between the first and second generation. Particularly curious about whether the second generation are more well made and less prone to the arms breaking off? Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

The original EJs were made of the older o-matter. These days it’s pretty brittle. If you’re looking for a pair of EJs to wear, look for the “new eye jacket” which has is made of the newer o-matter. Less prone to breaking. You can tell the difference between the two EJ by the hinge. The originals have squared off hinges while the newer version has rounded hinges.

Differences are as follows: 1st Gen has Earstem Icons which are part of the earstem(can't swap), 1st Generation O Matter used(prone to growing weak and brittle with age), the earstems are slightly thinner and the earstem hinges are squared making them easier to break without mishandling them. The nubs on the ends of the hinges were the culprits, just too feeble to be used on a regular basis. Hence I wear mine very infrequently.

Differences are as follows: 1st Gen has Earstem Icons which are part of the earstem(can't swap), 1st Generation O Matter used(prone to growing weak and brittle with age), the earstems are slightly thinner and the earstem hinges are squared making them easier to break without mishandling them. The nubs on the ends of the hinges were the culprits, just too feeble to be used on a regular basis. Hence I wear mine very infrequently.
Good to know, super helpful - thank you!

Showoff

Back