• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do you believe........

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
At this time of year there is a lot of "do you believe....." going around which mostly revolves around Christmas and Santa Clause.

This got me thinking to something happened a few weeks ago driving in a city. I was pulling off the highway and coming to a street light and at the intersection there was a "pan handler" with a sign (which I couldn't read) and was walking by all the stopped cars.

I assume he was "pan handling" (for those who are unfamiliar with the term this is "begging for money").

It was a really cold day and the man was dressed in beat up, very used clothing and certainly looked as if he needed assistance

Something then caught my eye that he had. An Oakley backpack. That made me think....is this person just playing the part of someone "down and out" or is he really "down and out"?

I became conflicted because I really want to be compassionate to those less fortunate and in need of assistance. However I know there are other's who take advantage of other's compassion by using false pretenses.

Did this person just happen to acquire this backpack? Was it a valuable backpack? (I couldn't tell). This began my dilemna which thought quite a bit about.

I want to believe this person was not there under false pretenses. I want to believe that people are honest and I would very much like to do this without having to question and analyze.

Do I believe in Santa? Yes
Do I believe in dis-honest people? Yes
Do I believe believing there are dis-honest people that will affect me? Yes

One last thing, when I get home I believe I will have a beer, then I believe I will have another beer!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's Everyone!

The "street corner bum who drives home in his Mercedes to his big house at night" stories are as prevalent as the "Picasso at the yard sale" legends. I'm sure they both happen, but not everywhere everyday.

Maybe I'm stressed and not thinking straight because I almost blew up my meth lab earlier, maybe it's the holidays...

Maybe the guy just found the backpack or got it at the Goodwill store.

Around here sometimes undercover cops pose as panhandlers. It lets them network with other panhandlers and gain access to drug running schemes, etc. So whenever I see a panhandler with nice shoes, I wonder if it's actually a cop. Maybe the same applies to Oakley backpacks...

I'm sure we all get taken by unscrupulous people in life. If a young man with no obvious disability tries to panhandle I tell them to **** off almost immediately, on the other hand older men and ladies can easily take advantage of me because I don't worry if they are for real.. even if it's not I imagine they probably do need the money so I feel good about giving...

The biggest dilemma that I struggle with in regards to the homeless, is whether or not they are using the money given to them for drugs.

Latest Posts

Back