• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ebay Seller Problem

Hando

Oakley Expert
Anybody ever have a problem with an ebay seller where they try to charge you extra for shipping?

I bought a pair of Oakleys (Of course). For shipping from San Francisco to Northern VA, through UPS it ended up calculating at $12.62. Seemed a little high, but I paid immediately through paypal. The buyer contacts me and tells me that he miscalculated and that it was actually closer to $20 with insurance. I already thought $12.62 sounded kinda absurd for a pair of glasses.

He proceeds to tell me that he can refund the money and send a new invoice, or I can pay the difference to his paypal account.

From what I understand... 1: The seller can't charge additional shipping. And 2: Insurance is his option since it protects the seller, not the buyer. Am I wrong to tell the seller to piss off (In a nice way that is)?

thats ridiculous. once you pay the asked price plus the allocated shipping cost, its a done deal. any deficit is his loss, his problem.
especially when its already way more than expected for within CONUS mail..

i'd be ruthless and just open a paypal case. at worst get your money back in full.. and not have to deal with him anyway. if he gets upset and ships you an empty box youre in a much worse position my friend...

some people..

I had already wanted to make it easier for him by having it shipped to my mother in the first place. I hate to imagine how much he'd try to charge me to ship it overseas to my APO address.

I'll give him a chance to respond, and if he sucks it up and ships it, I'll wait to open a case when my mother can verify that there's actually something in the box. If he says no, I'll wait till he refunds me or doesn't refund me and act accordingly. I told him that he could refund me my money and relist the item. It was just a pair of Cobalt Minute Gen 1.0. Nothing super awesome or a super great deal to lose out on.

Last edited:
i would call ebay, do not send a email. they seem to handle things differently sometimes when you call. i know he can ship priority for 10 or so.
i would tell him to pound sand it is his fault.

This is why I tend to over price shipping by a few dollars and then if I am incorrect I refund the difference to the buyer. There has been numerous times that I have miscalculated shipping and that's just something a seller has to lose out on. He's being kinda a tight ass if you ask me

This is why I tend to over price shipping by a few dollars and then if I am incorrect I refund the difference to the buyer. There has been numerous times that I have miscalculated shipping and that's just something a seller has to lose out on. He's being kinda a tight ass if you ask me
Yeah! Why would you risk losing a repeat buyer over a few bucks?

It is only a few bucks and I sure could send him the money on the other side of the coin, but at this point...20 bucks for shipping across country for a pair that aren't Romeos or Pit Bosses. Uh uh, no sir.

I've eaten shipping costs before and I've had eBay screw me on shipping when a Japanese buyer bought something and the shipping actually ended up being four times as much as the calculator. I messaged the guy, explained the dilemma, offered him an immediate refund, and took a neutral feedback hit. I'd be completely willing to work with this guy if it didn't seem like he was already scalping me for way too much.

Thays WAY to much. 12 is about average. I shipped to South africa for less than $20 lol

I suggested to him to either refund my money and he could relist the item, or perhaps look at USPS. He went ahead and sent it usps and told me that he "Would make a note that he encouraged me to use UPS, but I declined and that he hopes nothing happens to the package..". I don't think he realizes how much protection the buyer on ebay actually has nowadays.

I've had eBay sellers charge me for Priority Shipping (6 to 10 days delivery) and then send it First Class (4 to 6 weeks delivery) just so that they can pocket an extra $20. Helluva annoying when you're on the receiving end and nothing shows up after two weeks and the seller's response is that I'm at the mercy of the postal system. By the time the package turns up the 45 day dispute period has expired. Uuuuuuuurgh!

Latest Posts

Back