• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First generation hinge question

stroked250

Oakley Beginner
I recently purchased a few pairs of early Frogskins. I have noticed that there appear to be consistent differences in the hinges.

Are there Japan and USA produced first generation that may be slightly different? I noticed the hinge and lettering are slightly different; I am pretty certain both are 100% real. The black pair have concave lettering and the clear 'Japan' have raised lettering onm the inside and silk screen on the outside.

Here is a photo of the hinges:

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

I have 6 pairs of gen 1's all with the same hinge as the top pair. I've never seen a legit pair with the second example, that said, perhaps its a repair or something? Generally they all have two 'rivet' or stud type fasteners.

I agree with you; however, my black pair have dual rivets in them, you just don't see them on the inside of the frame. I have seen several different people that claim authentic first generation with this hinge type.

Here is another good example from a reputable shop: Oakley Frogskins Crystal Black Ice Iridium Sunglasses

Take a look closely at the hinges. They are the same. Also, the Oakley logo on mine and this pair are not silk screened but impressions and painted.

Seems that the hinges like this are non-Japan models and they details are sloppier than the Japans. It's just odd to see so many with this style.

Interesting indeed - it looks almost like it was a crossover model between gen 1 and gen 2 - the oakley logo on the pair from the website you posted is strange, i've never seen a pair painted like that, doesnt look like a good job either?

Wish we could get some more clarity on these older models.

Back