• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket 2.0 XL lens advice needed

Riccardo

Oakley Beginner
Just bought my 3rd Oakley, now the Flat Jacket 2.0 XL Black frame and Black Iridium lens.
I wish to buy clearer lenses (red or yellow) anyone can suggest me some good not oakley lenses for these sunglasses?

...can suggest me some good not oakley lenses...?
You realize, of course, that there are none better than Oakley lenses?
That's why we all scramble to acquire all the OE we can for our discontinued frames, or alternatively, custom cuts from OE stock.
To answer your question, I have had acceptable results with Fuze lenses.

You realize, of course, that there are none better than Oakley lenses?
That's why we all scramble to acquire all the OE we can for our discontinued frames, or alternatively, custom cuts from OE stock.
To answer your question, I have had acceptable results with Fuze lenses.

Yes, I know I am searching for a compromise. I gave a look at the Fuse Site, prices not to far from Oakley originals. About Oakley lens quality you may be right but when I can I'll post a pic of what happened to my M Frame 3.0 Clear lenses: the lens stripped on all the suface after cleaning it with only a cloth.

the lens stripped on all the suface after cleaning it with only a cloth.

'Only' a cloth? I think there's a bit more to the story ...

We ALL have Oakleys, we ALL have lenses, we've ALL ruined lenses...

... But they never get ruined 'just like that'...

It's could be a storage or cleaning issue that came to light on that particular cleaning

At this very point in time, because Flak 2.0 lenses are more current/readily available, it makes virtually no sense at all to go with an aftermarket just to save a few dollars. Only exception I could make is if you literally had that very exact amount to spend, and you had no access to OEM. Plus, clear/yellow should typically cost less than the Iridium lenses.

Revant's HC3 and Walleva's Mr. Shield are of the best performing non-OEM options as far as cuts, thickness, clarity, and base curve.
But really, their only comparable options overall are the equivalent of Black Iridium because they typically go too strong with everything else imo. Like their Jade equivalent is just too purple when looking through, etc. This stuff is great for a retired frame where you may already have an OEM lens but want a beater. These are already going to cost nearly as much as OEM Iridium (although these are Polar) if available.

Fuse's cuts and curve in my experience was considerably off, as well as the tint consistency. It's a QC thing from what I understand and if you land a good example, it should be nice.

Anything cheaper is pretty much dog ****. Last exception would be the Japanese Zero brand. With my Jawbone, I've played with the aforementioned aftermarket lenses, and ultimately stopped using them. It's not because they actually suck, but it's like "why?" when I've got a few OEM lenses to try to beat up. However, I've left my Zero lenses in for months now. Cuts/thickness/clarity/curve all seem right, but the difference is that the tint for their red mirror isn't too far off Oakley's +Red to me. It's actually as close to OEM as things appear in my experience. The yellow lens, however, has insane ghosting due to the heavy backside AR. Only reason why I can't actually recommend these otherwise is because these have much less reception than other lenses. I don't know if it's just my set, these particular tints I have, or just me. Sample size, basically.

But yeah, bottom line is for a clear/yellow lens especially, there's like no upside to skimping on OEM right now.

I know I am new around here but having bought cheap lens replacements a couple of times over the last 3 decades. Praying that this time would be different, they would be better than last time. And every time I regret it and buy OEM. For me, as awesome as the styles have been over the years and the looks that Oakley's garner from the unknowing public the whole point for me is the superior optics they provide and ability to precisely choose how much light is coming through. IMHO.

Back