• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Going From Polished To Matte. Possible?

MarcelN

Oakley Expert
I'm thinking of using ultra fine grit sandpaper to make polished frames matte. Has anyone done that or it's not possible?

and using sandpaper wont ffff them up?

use red scotchbrite dry....cut with the grain of the frames so to speak always going the same direction.

It's worth it to bead blast.... Here is an X Man bead blast....

2ubebaqy.jpg

Dont' sand your frames! They will be matte, but they'll also look like crap. Even using a 1500 grit wet-sand will leave visible scratches and make the frame look trashed (not in a good way). Plus, if the polished frame is painted, you'll be rubbing into and possibly through the paint. Bottom line - sanding is not going to make your frame look like an Oakley factory matte finish.
Clear coating is the way to go if you're looking for a cost effective method. I took a glossy frame and matted it down to flat with automotive clear, and you woulnd never know it had been glossy.

Last edited:
Matte Clear Cerakote is the way to go....Durable as all hell...Or Matte Powder Coat..I like X Man's idea as well.

Back