• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Going Rates

Lucifel

Oakley Beginner
Perth
Greetings from Aus,

Scored my first pair of Mars (crater) a few weeks ago and now I am hooked again on Oakleys, something I had managed to avoid for a few years.
I may actually love them more than I do my decade old Juliets.
This re-obsession has unfortunately coincided with the recent x-metal discontinuation, but I need more.

i) What is a good price for the leather\x-metal\gold iridum Mars? (eg, 221116608742)
ii) And the Mars generally (200811159277)
Are these even legit? They look authentic...

I trawled the forums and man have prices shot through the roof. I could probably wait a few months to see how it settles but then Christmas comes.

Oakley would make a killing (in my opinion) if they retro released their X-Metals. Eg like Nike kickz.

i) What is a good price for the leather\x-metal\gold iridum Mars? (eg, 221116608742)

I haven't seen any on ebay significantly cheaper than that. I think I've seen no box for around 750-800. And nobody has sold a pair on here in a while. So unless you catch a good BIN deal right away, they'll probably be that much.

For normal mars, you can still get them with no box for $250-275.

Greetings from Aus

Greetings, Luc!

Scored my first pair of Mars (crater) a few weeks ago and this re-obsession has unfortunately coincided with the recent x-metal discontinuation, but I need more.

The legion grows...

What is a good price for the leather\x-metal\gold iridum Mars? (eg, 221116608742)

$900-1000 for a nice boxed example. Why would anybody collect one of these that have been well-worn? So you spend a little more and get a beautiful pair without someone elses DNA on it.

ii) And the Mars generally (200811159277)

This is not a Crater as the listing describes and the price is high for a loose pair in this colorway. I think $350 on those- not the high price

Are these even legit? They look authentic...

Yes they do

I could probably wait a few months to see how it settles but then Christmas comes.

If you do you'll pay more during the season of unfettered spending.

Oakley would make a killing (in my opinion) if they retro released their X-Metals. Eg like Nike kickz.

I dunno... Discussed at length in other threads. Cost of handmade production + factory close + Target profit margin = Unlikely.
'
What we may see as acceptable margins and profit dollars may not match Lux's model. The previous model didn't work or it would be in production today and to work tomorrow it would have to be tweaked one of two ways:
- Make the manufacturing process cheaper through automation and change the metallugry to remove the expense of using titanium. Here, do you still have an X Metal? Not IMO
- Raise price. Would the market support a $750 price tag? I don't see this either.

So, open your wallet! :biggrin:

F'ing great answer and the greetings are appreciated too.

I should of got back on the Oakley X-Metal train years ago. I started out hard but had no money (Juliet first release). Who knew the big ass Romeo's would become so popular.

The auction got pulled so he must have got a good offer - I was about to pull the trigger, the DNA point was what tipped me over.

Surely in the last 15 years the process of making x-metal doesn't require the giant machine they cobbled together. I wonder what they will do with the pours and stuff.

Latest Posts

Back