• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Greetings..are These X Metal Or Juliet?

Steve O

Oakley Beginner
Hi, found this forum by chance and I'm already glad I did. So my first X metal Juliets were bought new around 15 years ago. They were stolen and I replaced them with some XX metal. I have always wanted a pair of Romeo glasses as worn by our mutual friend Tom, but they seem to be unobtainium. Over the years when we've been on holiday I have popped into numerous sunglasses dealers hoping to find a pair that was unsold stock. No luck. Buying a pair on eBay at £300 plus similarly didn't appeal.

So I was at an auction a few months ago and bought a box of glasses including....a pair of Romeos! I couldn't believe my luck. I have some questions and I was hoping for some help. The arms on the Romeos are really loose. No stress cracks that I can see but how do I tighten these arms up? Is it just a torx?

They are dark grey frames with what look to be dark lenses. One of them is scratched a little. How do I source OEM replacements? Can it be done? How do I get them fitted?

Finally, to justify me being able to keep the Romeos I need to sell another pair of my glasses to justify (still got XX metal, crosshairs (daily) a pair of plaintiffs and some titanium Matrix alike Maui Jims.

I have posted pics below ( I hope) showing what I think is a pair of Juliets with fire lenses. Problem is I'm not sure they aren't x metal with plasma lenses. I need to get it right so I don't make a mug of myself for the listing. Can someone ID for me definitively?

Great forum, didn't know so many people were passionate about these great glasses..one last question, why did Oakley stop making them ( X metal etc) was it cost?

yo bro! welcome to the forum! you could tighten the arms as they have screws in them. For the lenses you could either go for OEM custom cut lenses... meaning you could get a donor lens such as the big taco and have them cut to fit your pair.... we have members such as infinitehero, xmetalmaniac for your lenses and if your frame needs a little love then contact the xman!

for posting some pics you could either sign up in photobucket or imagshack and then upload the pics there. after that copy the URL link and post it here....

but before you truly enjoy the community read our rules first:

Forum Rules | Oakley Forum

and the exchange guidelines...

Exchange Guidelines | Oakley Forum

Welcome again bro!

Hi, found this forum by chance and I'm already glad I did. So my first X metal Juliets were bought new around 15 years ago. They were stolen and I replaced them with some XX metal. I have always wanted a pair of Romeo glasses as worn by our mutual friend Tom, but they seem to be unobtainium. Over the years when we've been on holiday I have popped into numerous sunglasses dealers hoping to find a pair that was unsold stock. No luck. Buying a pair on eBay at £300 plus similarly didn't appeal.

So I was at an auction a few months ago and bought a box of glasses including....a pair of Romeos! I couldn't believe my luck. I have some questions and I was hoping for some help. The arms on the Romeos are really loose. No stress cracks that I can see but how do I tighten these arms up? Is it just a torx?

They are dark grey frames with what look to be dark lenses. One of them is scratched a little. How do I source OEM replacements? Can it be done? How do I get them fitted?

Finally, to justify me being able to keep the Romeos I need to sell another pair of my glasses to justify (still got XX metal, crosshairs (daily) a pair of plaintiffs and some titanium Matrix alike Maui Jims.

I have posted pics below ( I hope) showing what I think is a pair of Juliets with fire lenses. Problem is I'm not sure they aren't x metal with plasma lenses. I need to get it right so I don't make a mug of myself for the listing. Can someone ID for me definitively?

Great forum, didn't know so many people were passionate about these great glasses..one last question, why did Oakley stop making them ( X metal etc) was it cost?

At first glance they look like Juliets with x-metal finish frames and fire lenses. From the angle of that single pic, I can't say 100% they aren't XX but they sure look Juliet - Do they have hammer or straight stems? Is there a serial # inside the left earstem?

Also some later ruby lenses look a lot more like fire, aka "fruby". If you take a pic from the viewer's perspective you can figure that out - fire has a contrast tint while ruby has a neutral tint.

one last question, why did Oakley stop making them ( X metal etc) was it cost?

I haven't found a definitive answer to that one, either. All I can say for certain is that they shut down the factory - x-metals were made in their own factory in Nevada instead of in Cal like the rest of them (until Lux shipped o-matter frame manufacture to China). It was most likely a business decision i.e. cost in general but I've heard rumors that Nevada changed their regs on storage / handling some of the materials used to make them and Lux didn't want to invest in moving the factory. Can't say if that's true, though.

On another note I could do with new lenses for my Romeo 1 glasses. Oakley no longer supply them here in the UK. Where is the best place to source as close to OEM as possible? There are loads on eBay but I don't want to buy badly

Like washi me sensie said, get custom cuts made from OEM donors from forum members InfiniteHero or xmetalmaniac. Just PM them.

On another note I could do with new lenses for my Romeo 1 glasses. Oakley no longer supply them here in the UK. Where is the best place to source as close to OEM as possible? There are loads on eBay but I don't want to buy badly

Latest Posts

Back