• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Half X Hinge Issue

coolstorm92

Oakley Expert
I am bummed out. I ordered some oakley half x from the oakleyvault.com. They arrived yesterday and look and fit great.

First day wearing them today and one of the temples came loose from the spring hinge. There is a tiny screw that holds the temple to the hinge that came loose and now allows the temple to come right off the hinge.

I tightened the screw back in but it did not help. The temple is still crazy loose and no longer has a spring action hinge like the other temple. Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix the hinge. There doesnt appear to be any missing or damaged pieces.

Hoping not to have to return these.

I'd warranty it ... I doubt they have the stock to fully replace it ...they probably just repair it ... It sucks to have a bum frame ...but it'll suck even more if you try and fix it and make it worse ...either scratches or some other bad luck

This may sound stupid, but is the screw entirely seated in the threads? I worked for several years at a LUX-owned eyeglass store, and the spring hinge temples are a PITA. I've never personally seen a Half X, but you generally have to pull the hinge on the temple outward slightly to allow all the holes to line up, which is damn near impossible for one person to do WHILE trying to insert and twist the screw. Instead, we had long, tapered break-away screws that would wedge themselves into place. Once tightened all the way, you'd simply snap off the excess length of screw with a pair of pliers.

If the screw is in fact all the way threaded into the hinge, it definitely sounds like a defective piece.

Last edited:
This may sound stupid, but is the screw entirely seated in the threads? I worked for several years at a LUX-owned eyeglass store, and the spring hinge temples are a PITA. I've never personally seen a Half X, but you generally have to pull the hinge on the temple outward slightly to allow all the holes to line up, which is damn near impossible for one person to do WHILE trying to insert and twist the screw. Instead, we had long, tapered break-away screws that would wedge themselves into place. Once tightened all the way, you'd simply snap off the excess length of screw with a pair of pliers.

If the screw is in fact all the way threaded into the hinge, it definitely sounds like a defective piece.

Its not threaded all the way in. I am not really sure how the spring functions, but if you tighten the screw the remainder of the way it will either strip or just be tightening into the actual spring which doesnt seem quite how it should be in order for the spring to actually function.

A few weeks ago I was offered a half x for a very good price but one of the hinges was broken, I phoned a few of the warranty departments in different countries and they all said they don't touch the half x. I'd call them before you send it anywhere and see what they say.

Its not threaded all the way in. I am not really sure how the spring functions, but if you tighten the screw the remainder of the way it will either strip or just be tightening into the actual spring which doesnt seem quite how it should be in order for the spring to actually function.

That sounds like what I figured. Without having seen a Half X in person, it's tough to recommend a way to fix it, but if you're able to manually flex the hinge open with your fingers, try wedging a piece of rubber or soft plastic in there to keep the hinge open in order to line up all the holes while attempting to insert the screw. Avoid anything metal or particularly hard, because you may accidentally damage the finish on the frame.

3ofx.jpg

I found this pic online of the Half X hinge, and I believe the lighter colored silver part that I have circled is the part of the hinge that moves. If it is, try sliding it in the direction of the arrow, and creatively find a way to "prop" it open while you insert the screw.

3ofx.jpg

I found this pic online of the Half X hinge, and I believe the lighter colored silver part that I have circled is the part of the hinge that moves. If it is, try sliding it in the direction of the arrow, and creatively find a way to "prop" it open while you insert the screw.

actually the screw is the little piece just to the left of your circle. it is loose. and allows the temple to slide off the hinge completely. the spring under the screw must not be seated/positioned properly anymore.

i am going to try to return them tomorrow to oakley vault store. if not i got a return label today from oakleyvault.com and they will be going back.

actually the screw is the little piece just to the left of your circle. it is loose. and allows the temple to slide off the hinge completely. the spring under the screw must not be seated/positioned properly anymore.

i am going to try to return them tomorrow to oakley vault store. if not i got a return label today from oakleyvault.com and they will be going back.

Well crap, that's a completely different design than what I'm used to seeing. I'm still having trouble visualizing how these things work, but if you completely remove the screw and pull the temple off and try to move that silver piece I have circled in and out, do you see an extra hole line up through the one where the screw is supposed to go?

Back