1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. GRFMotorsports

GRFMotorsports is an Oakley whore Premium Member

I purchased a while back a pair off ebay that had some overspray on them. I just stuck them in the drawer and forgot about them but ran across them again yesterday and it got me thinking, I need to fix these.

Now it easy to remove overspray from metal items and such but how does one go about doing it on lenses and frames made of plastic with or w/o iridium coatings? What chemicals have you used that were light enough not to damage the finish? Just looking to see what others have done and what works. Thanks!

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

I have used McGuires liquid car wax and it worked...

3. MaukaRunner

MaukaRunner Oakley Enthusiast

Do you know that type of paint it is? Also, are the frames painted? Not sure if you want to use polish on the lenses since polish contains abrasives.

If you know the paint is latex then I've had good results using Simple Green cleaner to soften the latex paint. I would only do it on a polished frame as don't know how the Simple Green would affect a painted frame.

Also, not sure how it would affect lenses.

Another alternative is rubbing alcohol.

Whatever you use, try testing on a inconspicuous area.

Please let us know what you do and how it comes out.

4. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Try oven cleaner on an inconspicuous part of the lens. I once used oven cleaner to remove custom pinstriping on a motorcycle, and it didnt even damage the clearcoat.

5. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Similar to xmetalmaniac, I use McGuires plastic polish with a microfiber cloth. I have used it lightly on lenses too. Maybe just me but I would stay away from oven cleaner!! I stripped the anodizing off a motorcycle frame using Easy Off Heavy duty oven cleaner, a little splash hit my trailer a removed the paint. Works great removing finger prints from your finger tips.