• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hydrophobic Solution

1970BNER

Oakley Beginner
Greetings,

How does one know if there lenses have been treated with the Hydrophobic Solution..? I have a pair of WaterJackets coming and the seller does not recall if they have ever been treated. Are there any telltale signs one way or another?

Thanks....

Honestly not really, it's hard to tell.

But the Water Jacket used to come with it's own water repellent solution, yours should as well (unless you're just getting the glasses).

The Water Jacket came with a hydrophobic treatment and the treatment solution. Each application lasts only about 1-3 months depending on how often you use/wipe your lenses. You can buy the Nano-clear Hydrophobic pen from some Oakley vendors. I think the msrp is $20 and it is a 50x use pen.

One way to tell is if you run the lenses under water. if the hydrophobic coating is still good you should see the water just run right off or at least bead up (like a freshly polished paint finish).

I clean every single pair of used glasses I buy with warm water and mild liquid soap. The lenses that are coated will do just as i said, from my observation. The ones that don't, I'll clean thoroughly and apply hydrophobic solution to and they're good to go.

AFAIK, the hydrophobic coating is something that needs routine maintenance, if you plan on using your Water Jackets outdoors. Like the others said, buy yourself a kit from the O store and you can use it multiple times. You'll love the WJ's...it's an awesome outdoor activities sports frame.

One way to tell is if you run the lenses under water. if the hydrophobic coating is still good you should see the water just run right off or at least bead up (like a freshly polished paint finish).

I clean every single pair of used glasses I buy with warm water and mild liquid soap. The lenses that are coated will do just as i said, from my observation. The ones that don't, I'll clean thoroughly and apply hydrophobic solution to and they're good to go.

AFAIK, the hydrophobic coating is something that needs routine maintenance, if you plan on using your Water Jackets outdoors. Like the others said, buy yourself a kit from the O store and you can use it multiple times. You'll love the WJ's...it's an awesome outdoor activities sports frame.

Cool guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for....

Back