• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jawbone Icons

Mine are only held in with double sided tape, as with all my other Icons on my frames. So you just need a very small flat bladed screwdriver to get under the Icon & slowly lever it up. Maybe warm the Icon up first too to help release the adhisive.

Mine are only held in with double sided tape, as with all my other Icons on my frames. So you just need a very small flat bladed screwdriver to get under the Icon & slowly lever it up. Maybe warm the Icon up first too to help release the adhisive.

I was hoping it was an easier process (something closer to the process on a dispatch), I am afraid of damaging the finish on my true carbon.

Thanks though!

I was hoping it was an easier process (something closer to the process on a dispatch), I am afraid of damaging the finish on my true carbon.

Thanks though!

I always use a scalpel. No damages so far.

Try getting a finger nail under the Icon. I manged it on a pair of Fuel Cell's that I had. before I was advised of the screwdriver technique. It hurts like hell & takes some prizing up but it does not damage the frame at all & heating up the Icon will help release it off the adhisive. You just need to grow your nails to do it...................:lol:

Scalpel or exacto knife. It's pretty simple... I also have Racing Jacket frames now just in case you want to go that route - no carbon fibre though.

I just got a sample pair and noticed that inside the earstems there are pushpin looking points right behind the icons. I took a toothpick and tried pushing out one of the pins and voila!...the icon popped right out! It looks liked its glued to a plastic backing now (which are molded pieces that the pins are on), so no more having to heat up the adhesive to remove and swap icons. I like it!!!!

Will try to post pics later...

I just got a sample pair and noticed that inside the earstems there are pushpin looking points right behind the icons. I took a toothpick and tried pushing out one of the pins and voila!...the icon popped right out! It looks liked its glued to a plastic backing now (which are molded pieces that the pins are on), so no more having to heat up the adhesive to remove and swap icons. I like it!!!!

Will try to post pics later...

Those are Racing Jackets? The current Racing Jackets have the pins but the Jawbones have the adhesive. I did the boiling water on my Fast Jackets to remove the adhesive and used my fingernail to remove the icon. If you go slow then it should work fine. I did it on a painted pair but not sure it the carbon finish is a water transfer or some kind of stamped finish which might be affected by the heat.

Hey what color did you get? I'm getting a Retina Burn Jawbone. Kinda worried about how bright it might be.

Those are Racing Jackets? The current Racing Jackets have the pins but the Jawbones have the adhesive. I did the boiling water on my Fast Jackets to remove the adhesive and used my fingernail to remove the icon. If you go slow then it should work fine. I did it on a painted pair but not sure it the carbon finish is a water transfer or some kind of stamped finish which might be affected by the heat.

Hey what color did you get? I'm getting a Retina Burn Jawbone. Kinda worried about how bright it might be.

Yup, Racing Jacket (009171-10). I got the Matte Black w/Polished Black jaws, red icons and polished black thru bolts...originally came with +red OO polarized vented, but bought an extra pair of shallow blue polarized vented for fishing.

Actually, all my other experiences with removing icons only required a few secs under running hot water from the kitchen sink. I just ran it directly over the icon and was able to use an exacto blade tip to carefully get under it and peel it away, no harm done at all. But like you were saying, the finish on the frame itself may/could be affected if done the wrong way.

Latest Posts

Back