• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Orbital Screw Head Rounded - Help

Alien Workshop

Oakley Beginner
Japan
Hi, I bought these Juliets off ebay a few weeks ago. I got them out to wear them today and I noticed one of the lenses was sitting a bit awkwardly in the orbital. Upon further inspection it looks like the orbital screw has been rounded and the orbital is sitting a little off center compared to the opposite side.

I have not attempted to remove the screw because I don't have the correct screw driver. My main concern is even if I'm able to remove the screw, what's the chances of the threads being stripped from the previous owner forcing the screw in?

I paid $300 shipped, and they were advertised as "Frame: 9.5 from 10 i see Nothing bad!, Lens: 9.5 from 10 i see Nothing bad!, Nosebride: 9.5 from 10! very strong!"...no mention of a rounded orbital screw.

The pictures don't fully show it, but it's clearly rounded off when compared to the other screw, and where the two sides meet it is off center.

Is this even something I should risk trying to repair and possibly have stripped threads or just initiate a refund?

orbital.JPG

Last edited:
I've gotten a bunch of those out like that. . Send me a PM I can explain how to get it out or if your uncomfortable doing it yourself ship them to me and I'll remove the screw and replace it for free. Just pay the shipping back. It's so common. Shame that the seller didnt mention it to you before

Last edited:
Drill the head off the screw with a metal bit of course making sure the bit isnt too big. Once the head is gone and the stem is removed back out the rest of the screw with a set of tiny needle cutters. Damn it's so hard to really explain how to remove those screws by just typing it out. Wish I could have them in my hands to help..I've probably done like 6 of those like that. It's a pain but I've gotten quite good at getting them out. I've even been able to remove a broken screw from an R1 bridge that had broken off too.

I've gotten a bunch of those out like that. . Send me a PM I can explain how to get it out or if your uncomfortable doing it yourself ship them to me and I'll remove the screw and replace it for free. Just pay the shipping back. It's so common. Shame that the seller didnt mention it to you before

Hi, Thank you! I really appreciate the offer, but I'm currently in Japan and I'm sure the shipping would be outrageous. Your method to remove the damaged screw makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to pick up a T6 screwdriver and see if I can get it to grip on whats left of the teeth first, but I think I'm comfortable trying the drill out method if it comes to that. It's odd but the screws look so drasticly different from each other I think one of them might be aftermarket to begin with.

I'd really like to keep them as I've got a beach trip coming up, but I'm concerned that the threads of the frame itself could be damaged, or is the titanium hard enough to withstand any damage possibly done by the screw? Where the orbital looks off center can you usually just position it to be straight? It's hard to explain, but the way it's sitting now I looks like the frame is putting pressure on the lens and pushing it forward.

I see Linegear has screws for $7.50. Would it be unreasonable to ask the seller the reimburse for the cost of the screw? or is this such a common problem it's to be expected?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
If it is an easy fix I would let it go. If I bought a second pair from the seller and it had a similar problem then I would be upset. But one time shouldn't be awful.
I agree with this but mention to the seller and let it resolve itself.

Re farting the fix once you get a quality t6 driver you can try to put a rubber glove or rubber bands over the head first then insert the driver and sorta flex/massage the frame so you can back up the screw.

I decided to drop the seller a message with a ton of pictures just to let him know. If I order some screws from Linegear it should only take a few days to get here, I'll keep you guys updated on how the repair goes.

I received my screws and screwdriver from Linegear today. Luckly the damaged screw came right out without any issues and the threads on the frame are fine.

I still have the issue it looking like pressure is being put on the lens. Without the lens in the orbital comes together center with no effort, but with the lens in I have to press the two sides to get the screw close enough to the frame to tighten down. The opposite orbital doesn't have this problem and presses together easily for the screw to be tightened down. Pretty sure this lens is just a bit to big.

Maybe irregularities in the X-metal material is causing one lense to sit differently? Can I pretty much assume that my lenses have been replaced with aftermarkets and one of them wasn't cut right? Is there any way to tell an aftermarket black iridium from a OEM?

I've decided to keep them, because either way they are in good condition and I can always get new lenses if it bothers me. I'm just trying to figure out what I paid for.

Last edited:
I agree with this but mention to the seller and let it resolve itself.

Re farting the fix once you get a quality t6 driver you can try to put a rubber glove or rubber bands over the head first then insert the driver and sorta flex/massage the frame so you can back up the screw.
Re fart!