• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

LensCrafters semi authentic lens?

Wooglins

Oakley Beginner
I ordered a pair of Oakley Trajectories from Lenscrafters online. I chose authentic Oakley lens in transitions 8 grey.
The frames are phenomenal. The lenses appear to be fake. My order sheet listed “Transitions_TrueDigital_ADV_III_1.59”. What I got is an Essilor Ideal Advanced IV. Am I wrong to be bent out of shape, its not an Oakley True Digital, presumably not the Oakley coatings etc. Get this though, the Luxottica lab etched the Oakley symbol into the lens. Does that mean they are now that old design? Or perhaps it was always that design rebranded? Or maybe I paid 70 extra for the laser etched O? This all seems like bait and switch. I paid about 330 after benefits, so the price was decent. I have googled and Ideal advanced looks like a really old design.

talk me down please. Lol

Essilor belongs to Lux. The 70 premium is for the O etching unfortunately.
So does Oakley advanced digital even exist now? If not I guess I get over it. Very deceptive , they are advertised as magic fairy dust. :-(. I realize it’s all the same company. All the way from Eyemed (my insurance) , LensCrafters, Oakley, and EssilorLuxottica. ughhh.

But the etching is cool as heck though when the transition lens is activated!
IMG_1527.jpeg

I like them well enough. Not happy about Essilor Ideal Advanced in principle, it’s an old design from 2012 and not well regarded (well google fu at least). Shocked that Oakley legendary lens quality has been sullied like this .

On the other hand I am coming from a Costco HD.

I have another pair coming in the LensCrafters progressive with transitions activ polarized. I suspect they will be nicer than the Oakley “authentic” lens.

Both pairs were a very good price at about 300 all in each. I had a coupon code and eyemed discount club / insurance.

I intended to use the polarized on my bike and the authentics at my desk and when it was not very dark outside.

Now I may return and reorder. I assume if I pick a prizm option they won’t be able to take it.

The final answer is that "Oakely True Digital" lenses are actually "Essilor Ideal Advanced 4" lenses. If anyone comes across this thread in the future hopfully this will help. Here is a thread from last year that led to solid info.

I’ve got one of each of the essilor xtractive style mirror lens. They are pretty good imo.

I’ve got one of each of the essilor xtractive style mirror lens. They are pretty good imo.

Sweet thread, thanks.

Got another set of "Official Lens Oakley's". Worst lens coating job. It makes sense that this would happen with the work being mixed in with the other Luxottica stuff "Lenscrafters, Oakley, Ray-Ban, Essilor, Varilux, Eyemed, Etc.". I was able to verify they are legit, and this is the lab that does the Oakley work.

Being around 50 I have been around Oakley's for a long stretch. I have always considered their lenses and frames to be among the best available. I am afraid they are now just an inexpensive commodity item like so many others. The "Oakley True Digital ", "OTD Advance" and "OTD Advance Plus", are now nothing more than an Essilor Ideal which has a number of tiers. This is a true backside digital progressive, however its old (think 2012-2014ish). This could be a change in the product, or it may just be that the ideal lenses came from the OTD design. I suspect it's the same design as Lux bought Oakley in 2007 and Essilor in 2018. All of the backside lenses are really just automated work that is performed on a blank. My understanding is that it is much like print job, with the item you are printing being the lens "design".

On the upside the other pair turned out decent enough, and had I not done some research, I would have enjoyed bliss in my ignorance. I am linking some articles about the Ideal line for other folks that come along looking for this.

And the state of this

Back