• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses with 30% light transmission

G. Christopher Lyn

Oakley Beginner
Here is a "nooby" question. I am looking at some replacement lenses for Square Whiskers. I'm looking at Fuse. I see they have an Amber/Ruby tint with 30% transmission.

Are these dark enough for a sunny day? I live in Toronto, Canada, so similar weather to surrounding areas like New York, Detroit, Ohio. They are not mirror coated, can one see one's eyes through a 30% tramsmission lens?

Thanks

Here is a "nooby" question. I am looking at some replacement lenses for Square Whiskers. I'm looking at Fuse. I see they have an Amber/Ruby tint with 30% transmission.

Are these dark enough for a sunny day? I live in Toronto, Canada, so similar weather to surrounding areas like New York, Detroit, Ohio. They are not mirror coated, can one see one's eyes through a 30% tramsmission lens?

Thanks
Yes your eyes will be seen

Perhaps you could look into Oakley's own G30 (Prizm Golf?), but you'll likely need to custom cut them, and your eyes would still be visible.
You might consider cutting a VR50 lens, Gold (35%) or Emerald (30%). They hide the eyes better than G30, but will be harder to source.
None of the above are going to be dark enough for full sun in the Big Smoke.

Thanks for all the replies guys. flyer, I see you live in Canada as well. I'll check out the VR50...but in the mean time, may try the Fuse G15 tint lens...most my lenses for my Oakleys are black chrome or brown tints.

Last edited:
VR50 is a very light lens and imho doesn't work too well in bright light. G30 or VR28 would imho be better. VR50 works well for overcast/foggy days when skiing or cycling. Slate and bronze are good alternatives for a slightly darker lens (23% afaik). Slate is a neutral lens and hides your eyes better than the others listed if that is important for you.

Latest Posts

Back