1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. G. Christopher Lyn

G. Christopher Lyn Oakley Beginner

Here is a "nooby" question. I am looking at some replacement lenses for Square Whiskers. I'm looking at Fuse. I see they have an Amber/Ruby tint with 30% transmission.

Are these dark enough for a sunny day? I live in Toronto, Canada, so similar weather to surrounding areas like New York, Detroit, Ohio. They are not mirror coated, can one see one's eyes through a 30% tramsmission lens?

Thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Yes your eyes will be seen

3. flyer

flyer Oakley Expert

Perhaps you could look into Oakley's own G30 (Prizm Golf?), but you'll likely need to custom cut them, and your eyes would still be visible.
    You might consider cutting a VR50 lens, Gold (35%) or Emerald (30%). They hide the eyes better than G30, but will be harder to source.
    None of the above are going to be dark enough for full sun in the Big Smoke.

4. G. Christopher Lyn

Thanks for all the replies guys. flyer, I see you live in Canada as well. I'll check out the VR50...but in the mean time, may try the Fuse G15 tint lens...most my lenses for my Oakleys are black chrome or brown tints.

Last edited: 12/12/15
  5. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

VR50 is a very light lens and imho doesn't work too well in bright light. G30 or VR28 would imho be better. VR50 works well for overcast/foggy days when skiing or cycling. Slate and bronze are good alternatives for a slightly darker lens (23% afaik). Slate is a neutral lens and hides your eyes better than the others listed if that is important for you.

6. G. Christopher Lyn

NoFair, oh, good to know. The G15 tint at Fuse lens is about 15% light transmission....I do love the tint of my VR28 transition lens on my Whiskers though.