1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

Where is Oakley hiding that data now? I think we used to be able to find that fairly easily on oakley.com...but I can't for the life of me now.

And/or can someone just advise what the light transmission is for Violet (I'm getting conflicting info anywhere from 12 to 17%), Violet Polarized and 24K Polarized.

Thanks.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Ventruck

Ventruck Oakley Expert

They ditched the lens simulator in their new layout, but it still exists via google search.
    Oakley | Lens Tints

But sorry to be the bearer of bad news, they don't lay out 2 tints you mentioned. Violet is there but I think they fudged it up listing it as 55%. Maybe they meant 15%, considering it's meant for bright light (and my vague recollection of the lens was that it was on the darker side) . Regular 24K is listed at 13%, so I'd assume polar is 10-12%.

3. ucdavis4PT0gpa

Thank you- that helps; I'd assume that the polarized variants are less too....except we've seen some polarized variants of tints that have been HIGHER transmission though I suspect those were specifically for sport applications.

4. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

That looks like a different country's site. in.oakley.com - so it probably just hasn't been updated.

5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Since Oakley dummied down their website I've been using o-review's lens database for reference.

6. ucdavis4PT0gpa

Found this which I find interesting;

Backcountry.com Size Chart

Seems to include some newer lenses- 24K pol is listed at 11%. Violet here is 14% although O-Review says 17%

But there's inconsistencies to the point I'm not sure this can be relied on- they say Fire Pol is 16% even though that's normal Fire, everything else has Fire Pol as 10%; they also say normal 24K is 11% when I've always had it held that is 13%. Ruby is shown as 16% when its actually 14%

What is everyone's opinion of Violet Iridium and Violet Iridium Polarized and the "squint" factor other lenses with known transmissions (like Ice, Emerald, Ruby)

jacitno likes this.
  7. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I couldn't stand the base color inconsistency.

8. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

My violet polars seem to have a higher trans % than ice/emerald/ruby. They're not my first choice for full-on sunny days.

9. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Right, going off an Oakley catalogue from 2009, which is probably as good a source as any:

24k - 13%
    Violet - 17%
    Fire - 16% (makes sense that it would be close to violet)
    Fire polarised - 14%
    Ruby - 14%

Worth bearing in mind though, that not all applications are the same and what one lens in one year doesn't mean it's the same 5 years later.

If you like fire, you'll get on fine with violet, that's a decent rule of thumb.

10. Jay-Da

Jay-Da Oakley Enthusiast

I was looking for this information a while back as well so the last time I was at an Oakley Store I took pictures of the charts with my phone...

Violet and 24K Polarized are not listed but at least this is up-to-date...

Light transmission info??? - Oakley HDPolarized.JPG Light transmission info??? - Oakley Standard.JPG

jacitno and Duke Nivram like this.