• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Light transmission info???

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Where is Oakley hiding that data now? I think we used to be able to find that fairly easily on oakley.com...but I can't for the life of me now.

And/or can someone just advise what the light transmission is for Violet (I'm getting conflicting info anywhere from 12 to 17%), Violet Polarized and 24K Polarized.

Thanks.

They ditched the lens simulator in their new layout, but it still exists via google search.
Oakley | Lens Tints

But sorry to be the bearer of bad news, they don't lay out 2 tints you mentioned. Violet is there but I think they fudged it up listing it as 55%. Maybe they meant 15%, considering it's meant for bright light (and my vague recollection of the lens was that it was on the darker side) . Regular 24K is listed at 13%, so I'd assume polar is 10-12%.

Thank you- that helps; I'd assume that the polarized variants are less too....except we've seen some polarized variants of tints that have been HIGHER transmission though I suspect those were specifically for sport applications.

Found this which I find interesting;

Backcountry.com Size Chart

Seems to include some newer lenses- 24K pol is listed at 11%. Violet here is 14% although O-Review says 17%

But there's inconsistencies to the point I'm not sure this can be relied on- they say Fire Pol is 16% even though that's normal Fire, everything else has Fire Pol as 10%; they also say normal 24K is 11% when I've always had it held that is 13%. Ruby is shown as 16% when its actually 14%

What is everyone's opinion of Violet Iridium and Violet Iridium Polarized and the "squint" factor other lenses with known transmissions (like Ice, Emerald, Ruby)

What is everyone's opinion of Violet Iridium and Violet Iridium Polarized and the "squint" factor other lenses with known transmissions (like Ice, Emerald, Ruby)

My violet polars seem to have a higher trans % than ice/emerald/ruby. They're not my first choice for full-on sunny days.

Found this which I find interesting;

Backcountry.com Size Chart

Seems to include some newer lenses- 24K pol is listed at 11%. Violet here is 14% although O-Review says 17%

But there's inconsistencies to the point I'm not sure this can be relied on- they say Fire Pol is 16% even though that's normal Fire, everything else has Fire Pol as 10%; they also say normal 24K is 11% when I've always had it held that is 13%. Ruby is shown as 16% when its actually 14%

Right, going off an Oakley catalogue from 2009, which is probably as good a source as any:

24k - 13%
Violet - 17%
Fire - 16% (makes sense that it would be close to violet)
Fire polarised - 14%
Ruby - 14%

Worth bearing in mind though, that not all applications are the same and what one lens in one year doesn't mean it's the same 5 years later.

If you like fire, you'll get on fine with violet, that's a decent rule of thumb.

I was looking for this information a while back as well so the last time I was at an Oakley Store I took pictures of the charts with my phone...

Violet and 24K Polarized are not listed but at least this is up-to-date...

Oakley HDPolarized.JPG
Oakley Standard.JPG

Back