• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My experience with Scienergy's new Temple Washers

joecool862

Keeper of the Skull
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Kansas City Baby!
Hey everybody! I wanted to post a review of the new temple washers @scienergy is selling. I really liked his old washers and installed them on most of my beater xmetals. My only issue is that the thin Teflon had a tendency to bend and distort (I even tore one trying to install it). Certainly some of that was user error. I recently purchased a used XS and I tore it down for a cleaning. I decided to replace the OEM washers with the new washers I had just purchased from @scienergy a couple weeks ago. These new washers are thicker but not quite as thick as the Linegear washers. They feel like they are still made out of some sort of Teflon. They came in a pack of 4 washers, no need to double up because of the thickness, with 2 tooth picks included (a nice touch since they are so darn handy and make installation a snap). I had no issues whatsoever with the installation using the included tooth picks. The increased thickness really helped with installation and the arms open and close very smoothly. I really like these new washers! They aren't too thick and they aren't too thin. If you are looking for some new temple washers you should give these a try!

Edit: IMG_20150919_221633.jpg
Here is a picture of the washers installed to give you an idea of the thickness.

Last edited:
I never understood why Oakley used two really thin washers instead of one thicker washer on each side. It just makes sense to use two instead of trying to use 4. So, how do these feel in comparison. Do they feel as sturdy or sturdier?

Nice to know! Thanks for letting us know your findings.

@supersharp, your speculation why Oakley used two washers, could be down to having two sliding surfaces allowing smooth movement. I guess the use of Teflon helps with this process when using a single washer. Just a thought :)

Edit to address correct person re. the double washers.

I never understood why Oakley used two really thin washers instead of one thicker washer on each side. It just makes sense to use two instead of trying to use 4. So, how do these feel in comparison. Do they feel as sturdy or sturdier?
They feel perfectly sturdy. A big improvement over the older washers for sure which I thought were a little flimsy. The ear stems open and close quite smoothly over these, definitely and improvemt since the OEM washers were getting a bit worn. I think @XMetalAddict hit the nail on the head about the two sliding surfaces. With the Teflon that really doesn't seem necessary. The other thing I do (what X-Man recommends) is I lube the screw up with gun grease. If you add a bit of that to the OEM washers they slide much easier as well.

Back