• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My first oakley watch

I work with a guy every now and then. When they need the entire group for a project I see him. Always has on a pair of Sean White Offshoots. Didn't think much of it. Offloading a truck the other day hes amazed I'm wearing authentic Juliet's. Get to talking, he's well versed in Oakley and he wears a 12guage watch. Everyday. In a beater environment.

Are the MMs waterproof,i mean really waterproff.i have a couple luminox seal watches that are supposed to be waterproof.......and they really arent.

Are the MMs waterproof,i mean really waterproff.i have a couple luminox seal watches that are supposed to be waterproof.......and they really arent.
I've heard that about the Luminox watches. I was looking at them awhile back. Ended up with a Seiko Orange Monster instead. That MM looks awesome @Dnkeyhnter . Congrats on the pick up!

Simple question, not a simple answer...

First off, they're no longer legally allowed to call them waterproof, only water resistant to certain depths. The entry-level water resistance rating is 3 ATM / 3 BAR / 30 meters. But it doesn't mean you can really take it down to 30 meters / 100 feet...

The depth ratings apply to water pressure at that depth if the water is static, unmoving. Which water never is. Whether it's the motion of your arm through water while swimming or the spray from a shower, the pressure can easily reach the equivalent of greater depths. So a 3 BAR watch is only good for getting caught in the rain or splashed while washing your hands, not any sort of swimming or water sports.

The MM is rated water resistant to 10 BAR / 100 meters, about 330 feet. For practical purposes, that means it's suitable for recreational swimming and water sports, including snorkeling and surfing, but not diving. That also implies that watches with a screw-down crown (which is preferred for water resistance, and the MM has) is actually screwed down.

My daily-wear citizen promaster sky is rated to 20 BAR which is good for "professional marine activity and serious water sports", whatever meaningful difference that's supposed to have over "recreational". But it's still not diver rated. Those are 30 BAR / 300 meters, and then there's an even greater 30+ BAR for saturation / mixed-gas diving...

So there's no reason to doubt the MM can handle recreational water activities, as long as the crown is securely screwed down. I would have no hesitation doing so. Just make sure that it gets pressure tested whenever the battery's replaced.

Last edited:
Simple question, not a simple answer...

First off, they're no longer legally allowed to call them waterproof, only water resistant to certain depths. The entry-level water resistance rating is 3 ATM / 3 BAR / 30 meters. But it doesn't mean you can really take it down to 30 meters / 100 feet...

The depth ratings apply to water pressure at that depth if the water is static, unmoving. Which water never is. Whether it's the motion of your arm through water while swimming or the spray from a shower, the pressure can easily reach the equivalent of greater depths. So a 3 BAR watch is only good for getting caught in the rain or splashed while washing your hands, not any sort of swimming or water sports.

The MM is rated water resistant to 10 BAR / 100 meters, about 330 feet. For practical purposes, that means it's suitable for recreational swimming and water sports, including snorkeling and surfing, but not diving. That also implies that watches with a screw-down crown (which is preferred for water resistance, and the MM has) is actually screwed down.

My daily-wear citizen promaster sky is rated to 20 BAR which is good for "professional marine activity and serious water sports", whatever meaningful difference that's supposed to have over "recreational". But it's still not diver rated. Those are 30 BAR / 300 meters, and then there's an even greater 30+ BAR for saturation / mixed-gas diving...

So there's no reason to doubt the MM can handle recreational water activities, as long as the crown is securely screwed down. I would have no hesitation doing so. Just make sure that it gets pressure tested whenever the battery's replaced.
Remember its not just a tightley screwed down crown that makes it water resistant. The O-rings are vital. This is why it's so important, as you stated, to have the watch pressure tested. Gotta make sure those seals are holding before you submerge it or you are gonna be one unhappy camper, lol. My father ruined the movement of his TAG dive watch by not having the seals pressure tested after battery replacement. He assumed they did a pressure test; never assume anything (as I'm sure you know ;) ).

Last edited:
Remember its not just a tightley screwed down crown that makes it water resistant. The O-rings are vital. This is why it's so important, as you stated, to have the watch pressure tested. Gotta make sure those seals are holding before you submerge it or you are gonna be one unhappy camper, lol. My father ruined the movement of his TAG dive watch by not having the seals pressure tested after battery replacement. He assumed they did a pressure test; never assume anything (as I'm sure you know ;) ).

Correct, it's the O-rings, especially the one for the caseback when batteries are replaced, that are the most vulnerable and where the point of failure tends to be.

My point regarding screwdown crowns is that they provide superior water resistance than non-screwdown crowns. But only if they're screwed down... ;)

Back