• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need some advice/help

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
I started a few DIY painting projects and I was fairly happy with the results.

Prep after removing icons:
1. Degrease (simple green)
2. Rinse w/purified water
3. Lightly buffed with scotch brite with rotary tool
4. Degrease again
5. Rinsed again

I'm using Createx auto-air colors reduced with their 4012/4030 products

In the first pic the front portion of the frames were completed, the arms had not had the final coat of blue like the front. They were painted later.

After they were painted I let them dry/cure for about a week before handling. They easily passed a finger nail scratch test with moderate pressure while scratching

I have been wearing these regularly since and now I'm seeing signs of wear on the arms in the second and third pic

So I'm wondering if it was my prep work that caused this or because I didn't clear coat it, or something else.

If I scratch test the side of the arm it holds but I do end up with a slight bit of blue paint of my fingernail.

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_3446[1].JPG

IMG_3448[1].JPG

Are you using a lacquer, topcoat, clearcoat?

The colours really need a protective ‘encasement’ of some kind.

No top coat what-so-ever. This is what I was wondering if I really needed and based on your question I now see this might be the problem.

Based on reading this Createx product document, I assumed I wouldn't need one. I was mixing this additive with the paint.

upload_2018-5-2_10-17-37.png

Thank you for the advice @Wavecloud ......and don't worry. I'm not going into the custom business. All the customs I'm doing are for my personal purposes and maybe a friend or two. I barely have the time to do my own.....LOL
Well. If you do change your mind, let me know, and I’ll put you on the customs page!!

Well. If you do change your mind, let me know, and I’ll put you on the customs page!!
I appreciate the offer but I can guaranty that won't be necessary.

It just one of those things I do for fun on my time, when I have time.

I have to meet deadlines and answer to people's requests all day, everyday and I don't want to add to that bucket....LOL

This is my escape from the rest of the world, one which I control and own, what I do, and when and how I do it

But again.....thank you for thinking of me.

Yeah - I reckon if you didnt use the 4030 addative your paint would wear off really quick.

You could try the createx water based clear coat - 5621 but it also needs a reducer.

Its a minefield of info where paints and thinners, recuders etc etc are concerned. Can make some folk run a mile!