• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need some help with fitting advice-Style Switch-should I return them?

Symowallo

Oakley Beginner
Hi there, first time poster here (sorry for no intro, need to straight to the point).

I had a pair of XLJ's for 6 years which I loved dearly however I lost them last week, and I've just come back from the store with a new pair of Style Switches - I chose these over the Fuel Cell as the Jade Iridium lenses were great. Fitting-wise they felt similar in the store.

Now I've got them home and I've noticed that the corners touch my cheeks. I went for the larger frame because I am in Australia where UV is probably worse than anywhere else in the world and I have a pretty big head (size 61 hat). But I fear that the Style Switches taper in a bit too much on the lower corners of the lenses. It is touching my cheek more on my right than left, but maybe I just have a funny shaped head.

Is this bad? It doesn't really bug me all that much and I have always had trouble with sunglass fittings - they never fit me perfectly. At $225 though I want it to be as good as it gets. Actually I have fitting problems with reading glasses - they always slide down my nose. In the Style Switches defence though, it seems pretty good against my nose. Just the cheeks. My eyelashes aren't bumping the lenses though, so that's good.

What should I do - for those who've got Oakleys that touch your cheeks - does it bug you much? I don't know if the sitting on the cheeks bugs me, and I need to make a decision shortly while the statutory laws allow me to take it back... Any opinions appreciated!!!

Touching one cheek but not the other is pretty human. My right side is more prone to touching the bottom of a lens/frame as my nose is a bit off to the left. A lot of people can get their cheeks to touch the bottom of a lens/frame from just facial expressions, but if it's not actually moving the pair it's no big deal.

I would take a bit of contact vs. constant sliding/adjustment. IMO it's just ridiculous to accept the latter.

I personally have high cheek bones and a narrow nose. My main way around that is sport pairs + asian fit pads. Mix of hold and clearance is priceless for me. There is the whole "that's a bit much in a casual setting" thing, and my best way to compensate is just go black. I really wish more casual pairs would come with replaceable unobtanium/rubber nose pads. I could probably get away with anything if that was the case.

Here's what they look like on me
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG

@Symowallo they look fine. You're not alone when it comes to frames touching on one side but not the other, I am also one of those people. Nobodies face is perfect, I'm sure you might notice with some people their ears may not be at the same level- one higher than the other. Or in my case, because of a broken nose the frame sits out further from my face and the side of my head as my nose was pushed to one side.

Hey thanks @ausoakley and @Ventruck; you've been really helpful.

I'll give it another day and see how they feel. Just went for a fast walk with the dog and they caught quite a bit of sweat but the touching the cheek thing helped them stay up on my nose so there's a silver lining there... Like you said ventruck, having them sit up properly is more important than whether they touch the cheek a bit.

The only downside with them sitting so close to my face is the fogging up on the inside of the lens during the humid weather we're having in Sydney. Never mind; it seems to clear off reasonably quickly once the air circulates a bit.

I might get some silicone stick on strips that I've heard about, and stick them on the nose piece so they sit a bit higher. Anyone got any suggestions for what to use for this? It's like I need some sort of silicone rubber strip to sit on the inside of the nosepiece to help it grip my nose and help it sit a bit higher, which should in turn stop it from touching my cheeks.

I bet you'd love a Scalpel. Problem is they are discontinued now and they are hard to find in Oakley Vaults here in the US. If you have one near you it'd be worth checking them out. The frame is deceptively large, but its aggressively styled and offers excellent coverage. If you don't mind waiting a bit you could probably get one cheaply on eBay.

Back