• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Normal lens vs Prizm/Polarised

I almost exclusively use polarized and now prizm lenses. I feel that the prizm lenses are that good. I almost always used polarized lenses for cycling but the road prizm is my go to lens except for heavily overcast days. I then prefer polarized again. It seems counterintuitive but it's not for me. Overcast days means that cars windshields are white from the reflection of the clouds. I like being able to cut through that and see where the drivers are looking. I use the daily polarized prizms for, well daily stuff. I switch to specialty lenses when I feel there's a benefit, like cycling or snow sports.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a few polarized ones but prefer the standard ones and the Prizm ones for riding /running.

When cycling especially polarized ones make it difficult to see the Garmin Edge's display.

For daily wear ones ,the polarized don't really affect the visibility of the nav system but I can barely see the Heads Up display.

Having said the above:
-Prizm road for cycling and running is outstanding.
-Deep Water polarized is certainly visually stunning

a year or two ago I tried to get to a point where all non Polarized lenses were out of the frames in my collection. almost all of my non polar pairs lenses were replaced polarized and the non polar lenses were put into the parts section of my case.

when the Prizm lenses started coming out the views through them were so nice that I was ok with non polarized in the Prizm line.

so now I have a mix of Polar, Prizm, and Prizm Polar lenses in most of my pairs. for some functions i do like golf or autocross racing where you need to be exact at depth perception to judge distance polar isn't ideal, but for everything else I prefer polarized.

When I first started out in this, I was only getting nonpolarized lenses because of the price difference... Back then, polarized lenses were $50-60 more than nonpolarized. But now, the price difference has narrowed enough for me to get the polarized versions of a frame.

I have PRIZM, Black, Snow, Road, field, and deep water Prizm Polarized ... DWP is a great all purpose lens... Road is ok and field for cloudy days.

I usually go with looks... As long as the lens isn't some gray crap, I'm good.

Sent from Q's S8+

Last edited:
When I first started out in this, I was only getting nonpolarized lenses because of the price difference... Back then, polarized lenses were $50-60 more than nonpolarized. But now, the price difference has narrowed enough for me to get the polarized versions of a frame.

I have PRIZM, Snow, Road, field, and deep water Prizm Polarized ... DWP is a great all purpose lens... Road is ok and field for cloudy days.

I usually go with looks... As long as the lens isn't some gray crap, I'm good.

Sent from Q's S8+

I've heard a lot of people really like the DWP lens, but I can't get passed the color. I may have to try them though. I've got BIP, Daily prizm polarized and now black prizm polarized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while sitting on the toilet

I have a few polarized ones but prefer the standard ones and the Prizm ones for riding /running.

When cycling especially polarized ones make it difficult to see the Garmin Edge's display.

For daily wear ones ,the polarized don't really affect the visibility of the nav system but I can barely see the Heads Up display.
What Garmin edge do you have? And do you have it mounted in the landscape position? Just curious. I have an Edge 1000 and I've never experienced an issue with it regarding polarized lenses. I remember polarized lenses being an issue with a lot of digital displays many years ago back when the only people who used polarized lenses were mostly fishermen. I remember as a response to the increased popularity of polarized lenses, manufacturers began switching the orientation of the polarization of their lcd screens 90 degrees and I rarely encounter the problem anymore unless I tilt my head to one side a lot or turn the screen. I'm not doubting you at all, but I'm curious as to which Edge has that issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest Posts

Back