• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Not a sunglasses but still Oakley

Bmxman98

Oakley Expert
Here's a fun history piece. When I was working on Rx and metal frames, I ordered a bunch of 0.080" thick Damascus steel custom made by a premiere shop in Neveda. I sent to the factory who was unable to use the forging tooling but instead wire EDM and hand shaped a single pair of custom Dictate 4.0. They put stupid screw in notepads on the frame which bothers me to this day but they are still amazing frames.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For anyone who doesn't know, Damascus is two different steels folded in tons of layers. That pattern is the metal itself. Not a coating or printing.

Hot damn. I'm a sucker for Damascus in the first place...
Stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That a beautiful dammy frame. Just don't think damascus is well suited to the task of being used for glasses. But that is simply beautiful.

Those are really nice. What do they weigh? That would be a worthy X-Metal successor, very different, each would almost be unique and you could have the signature Oakley ruggedness. Not sure if the weight would be an issue, but clearly they worked for Rx. Where there is a will there is a way!

In fact you could take it further and use Timascus (TM) or equivalent. Damascus with titanium.