• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

O Review redid their site! It's Terrible.

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
They reworked the organization and layout. I can't find jack, the search doesn't return anything like it used to when trying to search for a frame color to see all models released in that colorway, and there's no general list to search through, you need to know the arbitrary sub-category now.

So one must know Radars are classified under M Frames and Fuel Cells are a Frogskin frame (for lack of rubber) but some "Frogskin" pairs are also cross-listed in Square O.

And the frame categories are alphabetical BY COLUMN (meaning you read down, shift right, read down, instead of right then down like NORMAL READING). Who the hell thought that was a good idea.

I'm not sure how I feel about it but it's only because I've been going to O-Review for years.

You have to give it to Dann though, he puts a lot of time in the website and while it might not be the prettiest, it's got more information then most of us know what to do with.

It seems a little easier for me... I like the thought and effort put forth by Dann, wish he had asked for some input/feedback on a few things though... But when its your toy you do what you want I guess...

I agree, it's got tons of information and it's a great resource that I can't really complain about.

But I miss the master list. If I'm looking for the serial on a certain colorway or trying to see what retail options a frame had I have another step of "uhhh, did that have rubber on the stems, and what logo did it use?" before I can use my ctrl+f search.

Also takes a lot longer to run through the list trying to do a visual check to find out what a frame is.

have you brought your concerns to dann? perhaps that is the best venue rather than here since dann seems to be receptive to feedback and comments.

there will likely always be some kind of issue with their site because it is unique and that is the nature of the beast he is creating. most forums are built off of a template. they are easy to use and universal but they lack creativity or uniqueness. dann's site is attempting to merge a collectors database, forum, chat, gallery, and more together and there is no other oakley collecting site that does that and so mistakes will be made along the way as he follows his learning curve. these functions also have to share the same resources so there may be give and take along the way as well.

i would recommend being patient. dann's website is very ambitious especially since he built the site from the ground up in his ever decreasing free time. provide him feedback and perhaps he can be able to make changes if the resources allow for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I've gotten a fair amount of positive, but always need some constructive to keep things getting better. A few answers and thoughts:

"can't find jack, the search doesn't return anything like it used "

I've tried to beef up the search a bit, so it would be a much faster way than navigating the heirarchy, but I see how it can be confusing if you're not familiar with how Oakley classified them over the past 20 years or so. But having used the new version for a few months now, I've found the search to get me what I need much faster. Any suggestions for making that better will be welcome.

"some "Frogskin" pairs are also cross-listed in Square O"

Yes some catagories are 'alternates' and contain models that fit into different places. Blame Oakley circa 2005 for messing with the formula

"while it might not be the prettiest"

Haha, yeah I'm a coder, not a designer unfortunately.

"wish he had asked for some input/feedback on a few things though"

True, I probably should have, but we're here, let's try to make it better.

"there will likely always be some kind of issue with their site because it is unique and that is the nature of the beast he is creating"

Again true, the whole site was created from scratch in Notepad. I can make it do what I want it to do, but it's a beast to deal with.

"Where is the Forum on O-Review?"

I've implemented a referral system in v9. See if an existing member can shoot you a link, or PM me.

"Can a member over there suggest a reference for display cabinets?"

There's a strict no display sale/trade rule in place since all that stuff it property of Oakley. I try to keep my nose clean after having a few 'chats' with the lawyers.

All in all, I'll always take feedback and try to improve. The site started as a way for me to keep track of stuff for personal use, now it's a runaway train I'm trying to figure out how to control without crashing and killing everyone on board.

"And the frame categories are alphabetical BY COLUMN (meaning you read down, shift right, read down, instead of right then down like NORMAL READING). Who the hell thought that was a good idea."

Funny thing, I had it the other way and the feedback was to organized by column THEN row. I can't win. Perhaps the very long lists should be that way but the shorter ones, right then down.

Latest Posts

Back