1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. A-ROG

A-ROG Oakley Enthusiast

How are these any different from regular oakley polarized lenses?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Are you referring to shallow blue and deep blue? The difference is the iridium tint is designed to cancel out the blue of the water, letting you see underneath.

3. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

Yeah most of the Oakley sport specific lenses are designed to increase contrast and visibility in that sports environment(i.e grass/fairways for golf and water for angling.)

4. A-ROG

A-ROG Oakley Enthusiast

So the shallow blue is apparently better for shore fishing and deep blue is better for open water fishing. About right?

5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yes, as they advertise them.

My evaluation is that the literal difference between the two is that shallow blue is a contrast base tint while deep blue is neutral base tint, and deep blue has a lower light transmission % (10% deep blue vs. 20% shallow blue).

From a functional POV, the "shallow" & "deep" naming conventions appear to better match their function (water depth) than appearance; i.e. the names don't as much describe their color than where to use them...

IMHO they're both great lenses that can be also used for general wear, not just for fishing... but fishing is good...

The_2nd_G likes this.
  6. The_2nd_G

The_2nd_G Oakley Beginner

Yes, fishing is good.