• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Apple Watch

If they were $200, that would be one thing.
Come on now we have already had this discussion. If you open up an Oakley watch and look at the mechanics/movement they are very cheap. It's the outer design and name that we pay the high price for. Yet you are only willing to pay $200 for a "smart device" which in theory provides much more than the Oakley guts do today. I may be mistaken but I think you can get the aluminum version of the apple watch for $350.

Come on now we have already had this discussion. If you open up an Oakley watch and look at the mechanics/movement they are very cheap. It's the outer design and name that we pay the high price for. Yet you are only willing to pay $200 for a "smart device" which in theory provides much more than the Oakley guts do today. I may be mistaken but I think you can get the aluminum version of the apple watch for $350.
???? Very cheap???? I was on the Rhonda site scoping out the movements that they put in Oakleys, and they were far from cheap, especially when compared to a circuit board.

For some laughs:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

???? Very cheap???? I was on the Rhonda site scoping out the movements that they put in Oakleys, and they were far from cheap, especially when compared to a circuit board.
There are many threads on this forum that discuss the movements used in Oakley are not worth the value we are paying for them. The quartz movements used in Oakley can also be found in Swatch, Seiko, etc and I am surely not paying 1k -2k for one of those watches.

Also from what I have read on this forum even the automatic watches don't use the best of movements. I'm not hating on Oakley I own quite a few of them, even the automatics.

The point of my thread was not to promote smart watches but to simply say it would be cool to have an awesome casing for one. I rotate watches daily so I don't wear the same one that often. Therefore, I don't really gain anything from a smart watch.

Seiko are actually a proper watch company, more vertically integrated than about any other and make some very fine watches - check to see how much some of the Grand Seikos go for.

Knocking them like that, you're out by about five decades and it's arguable how deserved it was even back then.

Yes, the Grand Seikos are marvellous machines and greatly respected in the world of horology. The Seiko brand however isn't respected in North America because the distribution is mostly budget watches in mall jewelry stores. There is not much chance to educate the public in their horological prowess. Those in the know respect their contribution to the industry.

And yes, the movements in Oakley watches aren't all that expensive. For example, the movement in a Minute Machine or Hollowpoint (the Ronda 5040.b) will cost you $60 by retail, much less by wholesale,
http://www.allwatchparts.com/search.asp?keyword=5040.b&search=SEARCH

Also, yes having an Oakley case for a smart watch would be totally awesome. The best things about Oakley watches are their cases and bracelets.

And maybe it is my stupidity or I have bought into the marketing. But I am more opt to buy a Breitling, Raymond Weil Nabucco series, or Oris Pro Diver than I would the Grand Seiko . Like Oakley G refers to Seiko just doesn't command paying a high price to me because you can find a Seiko in just about every store.

@The_Darkone, the problem is you referred to Oakley movement as "very cheap" and that's inaccurate... if you tell us that it was being sell expensive than it should be, most will be in agreement with you. Oakley watch is a good watch even compared to others, it is just being priced unfairly high... but that is Oakley, the brand simply just commands high price

Back