• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Forum Exclusive: Try Revant Elite HC3™ lenses... on us!

uploadfromtaptalk1425928303752.jpg

Big thanks to Revant, and especially to Kevin for orchestrating this for the Oakley Forum.

Out of the box, the packaging is very appealing, demonstrates a quality product. Lenses are well packaged and come with an eye pleasing microbag.

The lenses appear well cut, with a thickness equivalent to OEM or perhaps even thicker. The edges offer an excellent bevel. These particular lenses are nice and dark and appear clear though they are not mounted at this point. So far I like what I see, more to follow once they are mounted.

I personally would opt out of the etching if I had the choice.

Again big thanks to Revant and Kevin for this commendable gesture!

Cool
Dont forget to mention the ST PAT;s sale
I got an e mail for 15% for entire order with the purchase of a green emerald lens till the 17th :)

Hi all. This will be my review of the Revant Elite HC3 lenses in Stealth Black for the Oakley Flak Jacket frame (XLJ lens shape). I've held off on posting my review so that I could experience these lenses in a broad range of conditions. I've also been working long days recently, so its been dark when I drive to work and dusk when I drive home. I finally feel that I've been able to test them thoroughly and provide an honest opinion. These were kindly provided by Revant at no cost, in exchange for just my honest feedback. I consider it a brave and bold move by Revant to ask the forum for our honest opinion, since historically there seems to have been a generally negative disposition towards all non-Oakley lenses.

I'll start by saying that many users have already provided excellent reviews before I had a chance to get mine up. I recommend that you read the other reviews as well because I'm sure I'll miss something. The lenses arrived in a nice small package with no excess material wasted, but also sufficient protection. I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a full-size microfiber bag for cleaning / storage. The first test: Turn the lenses 90° offset from each other to check polarization. Result: Yes they are polarized, the overlapped area went pitch black.

B7839916-BA9D-416A-B626-06A4B6EA2E3F_zpsjees7m4c.jpg

609B7F06-9EAB-49E2-8364-8E66282731E5_zpswxpnxtgw.jpg

I installed the Revant Elite HC3 lenses in my polished rootbeer Flak Jacket frame. The installation went smooth and the fit was excellent. I could not distinguish from OEM lenses in regards to fit. The thickness of the lens was also excellent, and seems on-par with OEM, but I don't have a caliper to measure. The "Elite" etching is pretty cool in my opinion, and it did not impede my vision any more than Oakley's "Polarized" etching. That is to say the etching was rarely noticeable during use. I decided that the best comparison I own is a pair of Oakley SI Flak Jacket's with Grey Polarized XLJ lenses. You'll notice that the box says there is no MirrorShield (I assume this is Revant's equivalent of Oakley's Iridium). Generally I prefer to have mirrored lenses, but you will see in the pictures later that there is still plenty of reflection, and in almost every situation no one will see your eyes.

D6891322-03A3-4E77-AE5E-128BA2BCC706_zps0yzmcc5q.jpg

AEC255D3-40B6-41E2-B46D-3E2C0F6B49C2_zpse38whh4a.jpg

23B9004A-4849-4952-AD85-044A0D7280D2_zps7lsew5gy.jpg

As you may notice in the picture above, the Revant Elite HC3 lenses look very slightly biased toward a green tint when compared side by side with Oakley's Grey Polarized lenses. Maybe once I saw that, it got stuck in my head, but I did feel that some objects were slightly pushed towards green while wearing the sunglasses. In particular it was mostly grey colored objects like the road. It did not bother me at all. The feeling of a slight green push went away after a few minutes of wear, I guess my eyes just adjusted to the very slight shift. Colors seemed to pop a little, not a lot, rather than be muted. In particular the color of a blue sky always looks great. I don't have any Oakley Dark Grey lenses, but I tried them on once, and I seem to remember a slight green push. The polarization did a great job of cutting glare / reflection. I don't have any fancy equipment to provide quantifiable results, but in my opinion the polarization was as good as OEM. The lenses were dark enough for bright sun conditions, and I was able to comfortably wear them until close to dusk (when it was dark enough to not need sunglasses).

F43D03F6-6286-4DAD-8E0B-5EF78D0FE12C_zps0t5qqrbn.jpg

FDFEB892-00CF-47FA-998C-9B1454741CD3_zpse12onsci.jpg

So the burning question, would I buy them? If OEM lenses are unavailable, the answer is yes absolutely without hesitation. If I have to decide between OEM and Revant Elite HC3, that's where it gets tough. For a collector piece that rarely gets worn, no, in my opinion OEM is the only way to go. But for a pair that gets worn semi-regularly, the decision is not so clear for me. I could save about 30% by buying the Revant Elite HC3 lenses over Oakley Grey Polarized. That is a very tempting savings, and I would feel 100% comfortable buying Revant Elite HC3 lenses now that I have had the opportunity to test them out thoroughly. Will I always buy Revant over OEM? Doubt it. Will I buy more of these Revant Elite HC3 lenses? Yes, absolutely.

A big shout out and thank you to Kevin and the rest of the team at Revant! I hope to see some MirrorShield options in the future for the Elite HC3 line.

Latest Posts

Back