1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Forgoten214

Forgoten214 Oakley Beginner

What's the difference between the Oakley Jet Black color and the Polished Black color that Oakley offers. (More specifically in the Radar series). I already own the Polished black and such I wanted to know what you guys liked better and what the difference was between the two shades of black.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

I thought Jet Black was used for the Sport eyewear while Polished Black was used for Active and Lifestyle.

3. The Game

The Game Oakley Enthusiast

i dont think they use jet black anymore other than on half jackets

4. Batwolf

Actually it's still used on the Radar.

5. Forgoten214

Forgoten214 Oakley Beginner

So what's the difference between Jet Black and Polished Black?

Jet Black is not as shiny I assume?

6. OFather

OFather Oakley Beginner

I've been told that Jet Black is the color they used for the older sport models. Newer models come in Polished Black. Only difference is the name.

7. Batwolf

OFather is correct, same color.

8. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

i agree, same color to my eye. however it is possible it is a construction difference. what i mean is that i had a jet black radar frame, and after some time the earstem tips peeled and chipped.. black "paint" flakes.. revealing more black underneath though so it wasnt badly noticeable but it wasnt smooth. i believe polished black is just the raw plastic tht has been polished though, so you avoid all the chipping/peeling problems.

9. SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Same color. Have a pair of Polished Black USC Flak Jackets that i dropped and chipped the frame. I bought a pair of Jet Black Flak Jackets to do a swap. No difference in finish at all.

10. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

Jet black is a coating, polished black is molded. If you take a polished black frame outside and hold it up against the sun, you will see it is actually a very dark crystal red or purple (most are red). Jet black is a paint applied. Polished naturally will be more glossy until marred from handling lol.