1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. X-Metal Pilot

X-Metal Pilot Oakley Beginner

Hey Guys,
    loocking for Lens Tint suggstions for Pilots to use in the Sky.
    Anybody experience with Oaklys and Flying.

I think the best match would be lenses with:

15-30 % Light Transmission

I've been tested Black and Ice Iridium Lenses.
    Very good for bright light but for an inside view to dark.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Tungsten Pol?

3. X-Metal Pilot

Polarized ist not possible.
    It is nearly unable to see the Displays and the view out of the Windows looks like a Clouds of Rainbows.

4. flyer

flyer Oakley Expert

The best (though admittedly non-Oakley) is tried and true G-15.
    You need true colour rendition, and (especially with a glass panel) non-polarized.
    I'm thinking slate iridium might work (23%).

5. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

Slate iridium or normal grey for neutral tints. Tungsten or fire iridium for contrast (VR28 black iridium is also doable for contrast)

6. Sun & Sand

Sun & Sand Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Recommendations from FAA publication AM-400-05/1:

"TINTS. The choice of tints for sunglasses is practically infinite. The three most common tints are gray, gray-green, and brown, any of which would be an excellent choice for the aviator. Gray (neutral density filter) is recommended because it distorts color the least. Some pilots, however, report that gray-green and brown tints enhance vividness and minimize scattered (blue and violet) light, thus enhancing contrast in hazy conditions. Yellow, amber, and orange (i.e., “Blue Blockers”) tints eliminate short-wavelength light from reaching the wearer’s eyes and reportedly sharpen vision, although no scientific studies support this claim. In addition, these tints are known to distort colors, making it difficult to distinguish the color of navigation lights, signals, or color-coded maps and instrument displays. For flying, sunglass lenses should screen out only 70 - 85% of visible light and not appreciably distort color. Tints that block more than 85% of visible light are not recommended for flying due to the possibility of reduced visual acuity, resulting in difficulty seeing instruments and written material inside the cockpit.

POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate antiglare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. "

7. X-Metal Pilot

I think i will prefer a contrast lens and will try the Fire Iridium.

I've tested a G30 a few weeks ago.
    It was not so bad. The blue light complete dissapear und you see everything with a rose touch.
    After some minutes ist was very comfotable especially near the ground with few clouds.
    The colours are good. But in bright light you have to change the glasses.

What about a G20 ?!? Is the tint still avail.

8. X-Metal Pilot

I know the FAA publication.

But what lens tint match nearly all in one?!? :)

The most worst are The R.B.'s

9. Slate is probably your best option for light blockage with accurate color perception. Its not as common as other tints though so tracking it down might be more difficult.

10. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I can't believe I'm gonna say this....but what about "Warm Grey"?

:punish:

STavros and flyer like this.