1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. beaver962000

beaver962000 Oakley Beginner

Hey all. i have a friend that completely demolished an x-metal juliet frame i sold him about a year ago. he even welded in them!!!!! He asked me to polish them up for him. i used 150grit sandpaper to strip the finish off. i have them down to the bare metal but I'm not sure what to use to get a mirror shine on them. I've read on here that y'all use a 240grit barrel to polish them up. is that a sanding barrel for a dremel? What other ways are there? any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

i reckon any high grit barrel will do. yes, sanding barrel for a dremel. just take it slow and even, dont eat away too much material. good luck.

3. beaver962000

Got er done! Appreciate the advice. they look great!

4. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Pics?

5. beaver962000

Can't post pics from my phone. sorry

6. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

Sure you can... Photobucket lets me email pics to my account.
    Then you just copy the IMG link and paste here. I do it all the time... :cool:

7. tigger

tigger Oakley Beginner

how do you finish polishing ang sanding with the 150grit?

8. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

I just picked up a beat pair of Juliet's that I will polish. Has anyone ever tried oven cleaner to removed the anodizing? I have used it several times on anodized aluminum, polished a Yamaha R1 frame, strips the finish without harming the aluminum. I then use 600, 800 then 2000 grit before buffer polishing. I use Blue Magic for final detail.

9. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

xmetal surfaces are not anodised. the xmetal colorway is a raw surface, and plasma is essentially a full metal jacket coating. remember this is all titanium alloy as well so its a much harder time polishing than aluminium which is soft.. power tools definitely needed lol