• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Precision machined spinning tops...the latest trend!

So the Tungsten material was changed between prototype and production, they came out a different color, were sent out as-is, and the only option is to return for a refund, no exchanges? I would be upset about that; the blue color was one of the main draws of that perk. Seems like as soon as the problem became apparent, at a minimum the perk owners should have been informed and given a chance to switch perks (with refund of price difference) while production was still ongoing. That would have likely limited them to standard materials but it would have at least given them the option to get a different K2.

Really, the proper way of handling it would have been to scrap the bad ones and re-run them using the original source of W that colored properly. That's what the customers thought they were buying, after all. Sure, that's a business hit, but a business should take the hit for its own mistake, not the customers. Delivering a product different than purchased with a "take it or leave it" message seems an unusual business practice if trying to maintain an ongoing relationship with one's customers...

Anyway, I almost got one of those but went for a different colorway, luckily. It's out for delivery today and I'm looking forward to it.
I agree with you. There should have been notification when production started not when tops were in people's hands.

@AndreaW nice tops and mine has NO blue very dark black and it's hard to get it off my mind! :(

Here's the same top (#37) in different light, where the tungsten looks very dark.

14563331_10155220936363238_2663649495155232564_n.jpg

I understand completely. Here is what happened. We switched suppliers. When We did that, I ate about $5k in material because the new stuff did not wobble nearly as bad. Before making the announcement, we flamed a bunch. They looked the same so we went ahead with the video showing the new vs old tungsten. In the original material, we had all sort of color variations from blue to black. That is the nature of flaming by hand. I absolutely should have explained that better and posted more pics of the variations. Once we assembled the flamed inner discs and finished machined them, we noticed a difference in color. It was not as drastic as you think, I just picked the WRONG prototype to post pics of. That one was crazy blue but I only ran 2 back when I created the Indiegogo page.

Long story short, I apologize. There is no way I can let people switch for other exotics. Standards would be no problem but I dont have any more material in exotics and it takes a very long time to get those materials in. It was a no win situation for me so I picked the best possible solution that I could come up with. I will not make this mistake again and I am very sorry for the trouble!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

I understand completely. Here is what happened. We switched suppliers. When We did that, I ate about $5k in material because the new stuff did not wobble nearly as bad. Before making the announcement, we flamed a bunch. They looked the same so we went ahead with the video showing the new vs old tungsten. In the original material, we had all sort of color variations from blue to black. That is the nature of flaming by hand. I absolutely should have explained that better and posted more pics of the variations. Once we assembled the flamed inner discs and finished machined them, we noticed a difference in color. It was not as drastic as you think, I just picked the WRONG prototype to post pics of. That one was crazy blue but I only ran 2 back when I created the Indiegogo page.

Long story short, I apologize. There is no way I can let people switch for other exotics. Standards would be no problem but I dont have any more material in exotics and it takes a very long time to get those materials in. It was a no win situation for me so I picked the best possible solution that I could come up with. I will not make this mistake again and I am very sorry for the trouble!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Thanks for the reply and explanation.

Last edited:
Got my K2. The design is really cool, very intricate. I like how the "teeth" kinda bend back inwards, crazy machining. The see-through effect of the stem while spinning is pretty cool, too. The basketweave pattern in the damascus is more subtle than I was expecting but it's visible. Great job!

20161018_111845.jpg

20161018_111925.jpg

20161018_112035.jpg

Got my K2. The design is really cool, very intricate. I like how the "teeth" kinda bend back inwards, crazy machining. The see-through effect of the stem while spinning is pretty cool, too. The basketweave pattern in the damascus is more subtle than I was expecting but it's visible. Great job!

View attachment 286876

View attachment 286877

View attachment 286878
I like how the dammy is the star of the show of the top! What a great idea to do this @Rich Stadler!

Back