• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pro M RX Heater Lenses Questions

Somewhere I have a bunch of RX M lenses stashed away. Not sure if the tint is a match but maybe.
I appreciate that. I continually restored American muscle cars with the rarest parts, while using one as a daily driver, for many years. That's the kind of guy I am. I spend a lot of time looking and evaluating. Then I like what I like, and stick with it.

I would never make a recommendation based on profit. Although it is true that I make a living off other people's eyes ;)
That's definitely against the code of ethics #1 I live by: TO KEEP the patients' eye, vision, and general health paramount at all times.
I hate crooks who give any medical professional a bad name!!! I'm with you 100% there.

I'm glad to hear you don't feel you or anyone else is at risk as public safety. I'm sorry to hear about your disabled status.
I hope that at least if you aren't wearing an "up to date" RX you are going in for regular eye exams. As a disabled senior your visits should be covered (at least 80%) by Medicare, Secure Horizons, AARP, United Healthcare or the Likes. Even Medicaid in most states covers one exam per 2 year period.

Best of luck, those lenses are extremely tight, jammed in there by the Oakley RX Dept. I have done dozens of mounts where the lens has a "groove" in it like that. However I have never personally worked for Oakley RX, so I haven't done one of the M-Frame RX's. You can tell by the way they crack around the RX lens that they'll be extra tight. At least we know you cna get them out easil (already cracked).

Stick around, if you want good advice don't be afraid to also LISTEN.
Yeah, Chris. I have timeless design Italian handmade titanium framed RX glasses with clip on sunglasses I wear for driving, which I keep up to date. I forgot the clip-on in my shirt pocket and it got broken in the washing machine, replaced it, did the same thing again. I found a Jeweler hundreds of miles away who repaired (welded skinny titanium) both clip-ons. I have red gold framed glasses RX transition light sensitive no-line bifocals made by the same people. The designer quit using those people years ago. Who knows, they may work for the parent company of Oakley now. I need to get those bifocals updated. That's enough prescriptions to keep up. I don't believe I have had a vision driving restriction on my license. I have much better vision than anyone in my family. I just really want to see as well as I can. My bachelor's degree is a BFA in photography.

There is a RX carrier that is made by (or for) ESS eyewear that is compatible with Oakley ballistic lenses. One of the members made some mods and got them to work with retail lenses I believe.... or it was the other way 'round. If you yank the inserts from the clear and they fit the carrier, you might be able to just get a standard lens and call it a day.

This is the thread
Oakley M-Frame (Commercial) With Prescription (Rx) Inserts: Sharing Session

And this is the carrier
U-Rx Insert

There is a RX carrier that is made by (or for) ESS eyewear that is compatible with Oakley ballistic lenses. One of the members made some mods and got them to work with retail lenses I believe.... or it was the other way 'round. If you yank the inserts from the clear and they fit the carrier, you might be able to just get a standard lens and call it a day.

This is the thread
Oakley M-Frame (Commercial) With Prescription (Rx) Inserts: Sharing Session

And this is the carrier
U-Rx Insert
I read that and saw the photo before I even got my account here. I just don't like that setup, for multiple reasons.
I pretty much committed to either buying good used compatible VR28 and clear RX Heater lenses and, using jeweler's tools to drill, cut and file out holes for my old RX inserts; buying NOS Oakley non-RX Heater lenses that are close enough but different tints (because my prescriptions are not that strong) to use immediately. And, it would be nice if I could find people with their own used Oakley Heater RX lenses with my current prescription who know what the prescriptions were. I mean, what do people do with their old prescription lenses? Donate them to be shipped off to third world countries?
Speaking of superglue, has anybody tried gluing broken Oakley RX surrounding lenses back together?

I would never make a recommendation based on profit. Although it is true that I make a living off other people's eyes ;)
That's definitely against the code of ethics #1 I live by: TO KEEP the patients' eye, vision, and general health paramount at all times.
I hate crooks who give any medical professional a bad name!!! I'm with you 100% there.

I'm glad to hear you don't feel you or anyone else is at risk as public safety. I'm sorry to hear about your disabled status.
I hope that at least if you aren't wearing an "up to date" RX you are going in for regular eye exams. As a disabled senior your visits should be covered (at least 80%) by Medicare, Secure Horizons, AARP, United Healthcare or the Likes. Even Medicaid in most states covers one exam per 2 year period.

Best of luck, those lenses are extremely tight, jammed in there by the Oakley RX Dept. I have done dozens of mounts where the lens has a "groove" in it like that. However I have never personally worked for Oakley RX, so I haven't done one of the M-Frame RX's. You can tell by the way they crack around the RX lens that they'll be extra tight. At least we know you cna get them out easil (already cracked).

Stick around, if you want good advice don't be afraid to also LISTEN.
It says on page 61 of the "Medicare & You 2017" book under the subject heading "What's NOT covered by Part A and B?" "Most dental care...Eye examinations related to prescribing glasses". Beyond that, Medicare and medicaid are a nightmare for me, as is conventional medicine in this country. Don't get me started. Whatever the federal government gives me, the state takes away, and whatever Medicare gives me, the office of Medicare and Medicaid Recovery tries to take away and I have to get my senator's office to intervene, and those corrupt mad dogs down in Arkansas throw a hissy fit.

Hey @oldYeti, Thanks for the reply. I won't argue you on what I know your rough experience has been there. Really sorry to hear that buddy.

I do want to give you one more clarification on the misunderstanding that happened there with Medicare. Check this out... 90+% of what an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist do is medically related for people over say 60.

So that's why I said Medicare will cover "at least 80%" of an eye exam. Trust me, and go fact check, it'll help you big time. And I'm only trying to help, I promise. Call a local Opthalmologist, ask if they take Medicare. If they accept Medicare you should be able to get an "eye exam" to check your eye health, #1.

CPT® codes 92004-92014 indicate new and established eye exams, and are used for both routine and medical visits. The primary diagnosis code makes the distinction. Only "medical visits" are covered by Medicare.

New patient:

• 92004 Ophthalmological services; medical examination and evaluation with initiation of diagnostic and treatment program; comprehensive, new patient
• 92014 ...comprehensive... new patient.

So here's where I see everyday people being covered. If you even have a baby, start of a tiny cataract, dry eyes, diabetes, high blood pressure, high ocular pressure, suspicious results like glaucoma heredity, or ARMD "symptoms", floaters, retinal pigment issues, etc. That's a medical diagnosis. Your exam typically must be a dilated one (you know the drops?)

So that's all covered! Awesome right! During the same examination (or on the phone when making the appointment) Ask how much is a refraction! The billing code is 92015... THIS IS THE PART THAT'S NOT COVERED. HERE IT RUNS YOU $25-50... MAYBE YOU COULD AFFORD THAT?

That's the best way to get a yearly to bi-yearly exam for pennies on the dollar… out here an exam costs $120-300 normally! It's insane, I know.

I hope that helps. If you have a questions let me know. Good luck with the Dremel, and told milling the non RX shields. I don't doubt with some practice you can get it done. Just not sure how much $$$and practice it'll take?

Cheers bro. Forgive my bossy sounding nature. I didn't mean it.

Back