1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Stefan84

Stefan84 Oakley Beginner

As the title states, I can't realy tell what Lens color that is. I think those are the Lenses my first pair of Juliets came with which is about 10 to 11 years ago (X Serial). So I'am kinda convinced that those are Rubys but there is no purple hue or anything. Just found them in my storage and kinda wanne get rid of them since i can't weare Lenses with a blue base because I get pretty bad headaches.

Question: Juliet Lens Fire Or Ruby? - IMG_00401_zpsbcd5b166.jpg
    Question: Juliet Lens Fire Or Ruby? - IMG_00391_zps6b02bb9e.jpg
    Question: Juliet Lens Fire Or Ruby? - IMG_00371_zps054d97da.jpg

If someone could tell me what colorway those are and if they are Ruby which Gen they are, I would realy appreaciate it. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. coolstorm92

coolstorm92 Oakley Enthusiast

Look like ruby to me.

3. Shaun

Shaun Oakley Beginner

Blue base is Ruby

kronin323 likes this.
  4. Stefan84

Stefan84 Oakley Beginner

Is Fire not also a blue base? If not then sorry about that. Does maybe anyone know the Gen of those Rubys?

5. keptman

keptman Oakley Enthusiast

Fire is a amber base lens. When looking through them. With fire it should look green to brown.
    With the ruby it should blue to grey.
    From the pic they look like they are ruby. Especially if you say they have blue tint when looking through them.

kronin323 likes this.
  6. Stefan84

Stefan84 Oakley Beginner

Just to make sure, heres a pic.

Question: Juliet Lens Fire Or Ruby? - IMG_00411_zpsf5221974.jpg

Attached Files:

kronin323 and baka2ph1 like this.
  7. baka2ph1

baka2ph1 Oakley Beginner

Nice Photo update! ...I wish the people on ebay understood the importance of taking a photo like that.

Ruby's for sure~

Given so lil yellow I wanna say 1st gen, but lack of a distinct purple hue makes me think it comes later in the game. Altho', the purple hue might just be hiding =P Since it comes up better in pictures in natural sunlight, but should be able to come up indoors too so long as the light source isn't being reflected straight back into the camera from the center of the lens which washes out any colors and also no hard shadows over the center to prevent any colors.

So, indoors or outdoors...if the light is above and behind you....hold out the lens perpendicular to the ground with the bag behind it.

8. Stefan84

Stefan84 Oakley Beginner

I'am going to try another pic later today since its 4 am here. And as I said, I think those came with my first Juliets I bought which is around 10 Years ago. They had a pretty low Serial too (6xx or 6xxx). I can't lock that up since they got stolen 5 months ago in Bangkok :cry:If those are the ones, I remember a purple hue in them so if it dosen't show up I have no clue where I got them. Is it possible that this wears off?

9. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Dang I'm late to the game on this one - yep, y'all got it correct, both in identifying these as Ruby and with the differences in the base tints between Fire and Ruby.:hi:

I should point out, though, that lenses don't have clearly delineated "generations" like frames do. They just evolved over time and certain looks tend to be associated with the gen of frames they came with. So it's more accurate to say "original lenses from a 1st gen frame" than "1st gen lenses". And you won't be able to definitively say which gen frames a lens originally came with from their looks alone, in most cases.

10. baka2ph1

baka2ph1 Oakley Beginner

10yrs ago = could be off of 1st gen frames....definitely if serial# that low...most tend to say purple hue is in the first 5,000batch but....that would be a rough estimate most go by I'd say...not seen a person show their lenses and hues to compare with anothers 1,000 later or anything to narrow it down more precisely

Purple hue or not, they're good looking lenses that won't be mistaken for Fire's *nods* ....and are in real nice shape too if both are relatively the same as the update pic to show the hues = easiest way to highlight scatches as well~

Rubbing off....mmm doubt it. Would see scratches n peeling before that Id say~

Last edited: 8/4/14