• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question on removing jaw from split jacket

lloydrose

I should Work at Oakley
Halifax, NS Canada
Just picked up a pair of splits locally with the hope of bringing them back from dying. However I cannot get the jaw off. When I turn the bolt everything just turns. Does that mean it's stripped? Or is there an easier way of getting this turned? Hopefully it isn't ruined....

Could be stripped. Try putting some pressure on the bolt, towards the frame, while unscrewing. Any pics?

Like @Zax said. If you still can't get it out you can drill it out, but then you'll need new bolts.

4BABB28A-5C62-418E-8C8C-8C5CD59E554E.jpeg

63F51A1B-6DDD-4D18-BE3C-AAE51AAF00E0.jpeg

Needs new rubbers and nose pads. When I open the jaw the bolt and the colored bit both turn. This doesn't happen on my racing jackets. I can't seem to get a good grip on the colored bolt to get enough torque on it. I was thinking about trying an eraser on the colored bit to maybe stop it from turning.....

Needs new rubbers and nose pads. When I open the jaw the bolt and the colored bit both turn. This doesn't happen on my racing jackets. I can't seem to get a good grip on the colored bolt to get enough torque on it. I was thinking about trying an eraser on the colored bit to maybe stop it from turning.....
That’s odd. It should seat nicely in the frame when pushed forward. But yeah, try something with some friction. Good luck

Press hard on the black side of the bolt with a rubber mat or something similar. If it still turns the bolt is probably stuck(the aluminium galls) and the plastic rounded too much to hold it in place while you unscrew the torx screw. Might have to drill it out or leave it. There are chemical options too, but it's an easy job with a drill. Just source some bolts first ;)

There was a thread here that suggested using a glue dot to hold the outside part of the bolt while turning the backside with the screwdriver.

Hi, I don't quite get it: there is no need to remove the bolts when changing rubbers. Were you planning on changing them as well?

Side note: If so, I might be interesed in purchasing one of the black bolts.

Back